assignment of band on deco x68

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-18 20:03:43
Model: Deco X68  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am considering purchasing a deco x68 mesh router.  I am confused as to whether or not a specific band can be assigned to a client.  For instance, my wifi thermostates will only operate on 2.4 ghz.  My research indicates the router automatically picks the band to use (2.4 or 5) and even if it's wrong, you can't change it.  Can someone educate me on this?

Options
3 Reply
Re:assignment of band on deco x68
2022-01-18 21:33:00

@srmadden 

The Deco will choose automatically for you the band that a device is to use.  This is based on the client's individual capabilities, Distance from a node, and traffic needs.  If a device can only connect to one band like 2.4GHz only then the router can only consider that band.  Usually when talking about client connection issues on Mesh systems its due to a feature like Fast Roam, that can at time cause connection issues but Fast Roam can be disabled as well so that usually fixes concerns such as that when they happen. 

Options
2022-01-19 15:29:59

Carl wrote

@srmadden 

The Deco will choose automatically for you the band that a device is to use.  This is based on the client's individual capabilities, Distance from a node, and traffic needs.  If a device can only connect to one band like 2.4GHz only then the router can only consider that band.  Usually when talking about client connection issues on Mesh systems its due to a feature like Fast Roam, that can at time cause connection issues but Fast Roam can be disabled as well so that usually fixes concerns such as that when they happen. 

@Carl 

Carl, thanks so much for the information.  Would a workable solution be to set up a guest network on the Deco and turn off the 5 GHz band on that network? Then assign the guest network to the thermostats?

Options
2022-01-19 16:40:55

@srmadden 

Yes, that is something you can do. In fact we do often recommend that for smart devices that have trouble connecting. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 494

Replies: 3