Deco W6000 manual selection of wireless channel for 2.4 and 5.0ghz

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-18 21:29:55 - last edited 2022-01-18 21:32:20
Model: Deco W3600  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.7 Build 20211025 Rel. 70524

So I actually have the Deco W6000 but that wasn't an option to select. However, reading through the multitude of posts about this I'm still not sure why the option to manually select wireless channels isn't available. I understand you (tp-link) want the Deco to auto select but it seems clear the internal scan is broken or just doesn't work. My 2.4 sits on channel 3 and it is and always has been recommended to only use channels 1, 6, or 11 to avoid overlap. My 5.0 sits on channel 40 which some of my devices can't see and are stuck with 2.4. Not the best scenario for me. This simple function should be an option even if only available through the web gui and not the app. When will this option be added? It's clear it can be added as from what I can tell all the Archer models support this.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco W6000 manual selection of wireless channel for 2.4 and 5.0ghz
2022-01-18 22:12:32

@kris4183 

Mesh operates differently than traditional router. Traditional routers have more control because they are a designed to be a different approach at the same concept.  Providing adequate wireless for a customer's home.  When using OneMesh, which is Mesh setup on compatible Archer routers, you cannot control the more advanced features such as channel and bandwidth.  Only basic settings: SSID, Password and Encryption are selectable or can modified.  There are a few reasons for this.  1.  Its dues to the bands being used as the backhaul and thus the router chooses the best settings to keep the connection between nodes alive.  2.  Ease of use.  Mesh was designed to be simplistic.  Access and control through a mobile app, control via local and remote connection and to really remove the guess work out network management.  To combat the concerns with this that you have the system does have a network optimization button.  

Options
2022-01-18 22:28:13

@Carl I understand the difference between mesh and standard routers but manual channel selection is a basic function available on most routers out there including other mesh systems. I also understand that some would prefer "simple" wifi solutions but it's not always a "simple" thing with so many different devices and each having their own wifi parameters. I've tried the network optimization and it never changes the channels. As evidenced by the large number of posts about this many users would prefer the option the make more advanced changes on their own if they choose to.

Options
2022-01-19 01:13:18

@kris4183 

I understand Kris, and to extent I can agree.  What I have provided is the information we have been given to us by the design and engineering team.  However, what I will do is add this to our request spreadsheet that is sent to the product team. They review this on a monthly basis and is used to understand and provide customers with what they want.  I can't say if it will be updated but its a step in the that direction. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 697

Replies: 3