Deco S4 Ping Issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco S4 Ping Issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco S4 Ping Issues
Deco S4 Ping Issues
2022-02-01 23:52:39
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.1 Build 20220113 Rel. 42007

We just purchased a Deco S4 because we were experiencing very low speeds and bad ping, most of the time less than 1Mbps down and almost nothing up with 300+ ms ping. 

After installing the Deco speeds have improved some to over 20Mbps but dips down below 1Mbps aren't uncommon. However, now the ping situation is worse. It will be anywhere from 50-300 ms steady, but spikes to 500-2000 ms every 10 seconds or less. 

Our situation is not ideal since the Deco is connected by ethernet to a modem that is also running another separate wireless network for the other tenets. We also have 8 people connected to our network. However, the ping was usable for games on the old router a while ago but now it's unusable. This makes me think that there is a way we can set up the Deco to make it usable again. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco S4 Ping Issues
2022-02-02 01:33:06

@amudd 

If the modem has more than one interface going into it then i would assume you are using a Gateway as the modem.  Is this correct?  Gateways are modem and router combo devices.  If so try putting the Deco in AP mode.  This will unfortunately disable all routing functions and your Deco would get IP assignments from the modem/router combo device but the double NAT would clear up and would likely the ping times.  Double NAT can play havoc on connections like this. 

Also i would consider a SMB level switch. If you have this many units on one ISP line using a switch to segment and assign separate VLANs to each unit could help improve overall network performance, and ensure that no unit can see another units' traffic.

Options
2022-02-03 00:50:14

@Carl 

Yes, I believe it is a gateway. I switched to AP mode and thought that the ping was better but it is still spiking to over 2000 ms. Unfortunately, I only have access to an ethernet cable coming from the gateway. So I don't think I will be able to use a switch, right?

Options
2022-02-03 18:33:34

@amudd 

If you don't have access to the interface of the gateway then yes a switch would not help.  I was under the impression you were the network owner and had access to it.  Another thing to try is connect your PC to the Ethernet cable and see if the pings are still spiking.  Its possible with the number of units connected to the gateway that the bottleneck is the gateway.  If you have high pings directly to the computer then that would cofrim this. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 504

Replies: 3

Related Articles