Print out Router Configuration

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-11 15:23:03
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Archer AX55(US)_V1_220120

Hello World!

Those of you from programming long ago will remember that greeting. My home network router has been Netgear for forever, however, I reached a frustration level with their technical support and the security issues their router was causing on my home network. So I purchased a TP Link Archer AX 55. Could not be happier (I've only owned it a couple of weeks) but so far so good. Now that I've got it configured with my 30+ devices on it, I would like to print out all of the configuration pages for documentation. Is there a way to do this other than just doing screen captures or trying to do copy and pastes into a document?

Much gratitude in advance for all help and answers!

Options
7 Reply
Re:Print out Router Configuration
2022-02-12 12:57:51

@Batman1955 

Ahh, another convert, I gave up on NG a few years ago too.

Good question, but as far as I know, there is no way other than hand written notes or screen captures. Even if you could, you'd also probably need the individual device data.

One thing you should do though is backup your settings to a PC. You'll find that under the Advanced tab, System Tools. At least if you hit a problem and have to reset the router it would be a good head start. That data is all binary though, not much use for knowing the settings from it?

An alternative to a lot of Screen Captures would be to create a document or PDF, and use the Snipping Tool in Windows to capture just the part you need and put them into a single document. This assumes you don't already have small parts of the screen captured.

Either that or just capture the parts that are really in need of seeing the original settings. A lot of it is 'easy' or done by the router itself depending on its setting (I'm thinking the AUTO ones in wireless for instance).

If you do locate something, post it here.

Options
2022-02-12 14:24:50

@IrvSp Thanks for your response! I will let you know if I come up with anything or hear back from TP-Link support. One would think this would be an easy fix.

Options
2022-02-12 23:46:02

@Batman1955 

I don't know of any router that does this? None that I've had at least? I do think 'old' Cisco ones did that, providing an XML file you could load into a browser and print.

A 'fix' means it is 'broken', and this is not the case. Adding anything means Route Memory has to be used, and if too large, something has to be removed. That is what Netgear did to stuff in its 'pay for' security protection. One of the reasons I left them.

My Archer A20 backup is a .BIN file and 13.1KB in size. I'm sure more than just the raw data one enters is saved? It might even be encoded to protect it. If it were not, or an XML file is someone got a hold of the file (or looked at it) they know the router UID and PW other things like the WIFI PW, so for 'security' reasons, maybe that is why it might not be done?

If you Google the web, on GITHUB there are some for older routers. I also found this, https://gist.github.com/yuanalexwu/dbfa673a552defe5242007ef7fc46268 and it is a .SH file which uses BASH. On Windows you can run it, https://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-run-sh-or-shell-script-file-in-windows-10, but you need to load a sub-system.

Not worth it for me. Since the script is 5 years old, I'd be surprised if it did work?

Options
2022-02-14 19:40:15

@IrvSp I hear ya, one would think that the need to print configurations seems like something like a no brainer! I guess none of these guys ever had kids or a wife that aren't very technical. I guess it's going to be screenshots in a document!

In closing thanks for your response and have a great week!

Options
2022-02-17 19:51:41

@Batman1955 

Not print out but you can create a backup file.  I've never tried but you may then be able to read the back up filed with a program like Notepad++.  

8e4a3e11ab7b4aaa96f55d799b658f6b

Options
2022-02-18 00:20:46

@Carl 

At least not on my A20. The backup is a .BIN file, all hexadecimal and using notepad it looks like a bunch of characters, more like hieroglyphics smiley

Options
2022-02-18 19:44:01

@IrvSp 

Yeah i wasn't sure.  I know that notepad++ in the past I've been able to see configuration files in translated text but i never tried to look at a bin file.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 614

Replies: 7

Related Articles