Archer A7 troubles

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer A7 troubles

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Archer A7 troubles
Archer A7 troubles
2022-03-01 20:06:33 - last edited 2022-03-02 01:41:55

Hi all,

Just bought an Archer A7 to act as a second access point on my network; the cable modem being the prime WiFi router and ethernet switch.

I've set mine up to in access point mode, and plugged uplink the Cat5e cable from the WAN/Internet port on my TPLink to the ZyXel router/switch.  

It seems to be flaky.  Right now I'm plugged in via ethernet, and it's working fine.  It seems to be stable, so I don't think there's a problem wiht the uplink connection.

But If I turn the WiFi on, it always associates rgith way, but sometimes does not move traffic to and from the internet.  This seems to happen at the most inopportune times.  For example, I know the internet is up; I'mm connected to the TPLink via ethernet, and I'm getting to the internet through the uplink cable.  But my phone is connected to the TP link via WiFi and it will not even bring up Google.com, i.e., no network uplink.

The WiFi network set up on the TPLink is the same network as on the ZyXel with the same password.

What should I look at?

Thanks,

Brent987

Options
5 Reply
Re:Archer A7 troubles
2022-03-01 20:15:49 - last edited 2022-03-02 01:41:55

@Brent987 

Hi Brent,

the issue is likely how you have the SSID setup on the Archer A7.  Really only in a Mesh or Router-to-Range Extender enviorment would you be okay with the Same SSID on each AP.  When doing a host router and AP router with the same SSID you will see issues.  This is because you have two seperate APs broadcasting the same SSID and Password.  This means your client devices will not know exactly which one to connect to, so they will either not connet to either or constantly be jumping between the two.  It may even look like its connected but traffic won't pass.  

This is likely why wired devices work but wireless do not.  I would honestly recommend using one wireless or the other, unless the Archer A7 is far enough away.  If it is then just switch the Archer A7 to a different SSID.  

Options
2022-03-01 20:21:28 - last edited 2022-03-02 01:41:55
Thanks Carl! The base router is in the front of the house, and the TPLink is in the back because I want to extend the network out side for a reliable connect to the speakers outside. It's interesting you say this because in a previous line I worked in networking at the world's largest grocer, and through our warehouses and stores, all the Cisco (Telxon) access points (and there were many) used the same SSID, this way all devices could roam throughout the facility. No issues there. So what is different about this? Thanks, Brent
Options
2022-03-01 20:30:52 - last edited 2022-03-02 01:41:55

@Brent987 

Those likely worked like our SMB (Business class) APs.  Usually they are placed where there is minimal overlap so when clients are moving they are only in range of one AP, or they have a Mesh feature that make the system appear to be one network.  Mesh is more seamless but same principal.  Home networks tend to be a bit different because they are usually much more codensed in their coverage zone.  Too much overlap with seperate APs on the same SSID can cause confusion for clients as they won't know which device to connect to.  We will even see this sometimes on Router-to-Range Extender connections but not as frequently as to APs in one network enviroment. 

Options
2022-03-01 21:00:28 - last edited 2022-03-02 01:41:55

@Carl,

That makes some sense; I was just thinking that I remember them talking about the APs sending messages to each other.

I had a similar type of problem using an Apple Airport Extreme, which I thought was just flaky (in fact that's what I named it) and replaced it with the TP Link.

If I add another Archer A7 at the point of the ZyXEL WAN Router, disable the WiFi on the ZeXEL, and turn on Mesh mode on the TPLinks, will that do what I want it to do?

Thanks again for your help.

Brent

Options
2022-03-01 21:49:42 - last edited 2022-03-02 01:41:55

@Brent987 

If you are able to replace the Zyxel router and use the Archer A7 as primary you would potentially have access to the A7's OneMesh feature.  This would allow you to then use the A7 as the base unit and then connect Range Extenders from this list  you would be able to. You would create a newtwork similar to a whole home wifi system without the cost.  Using OneMesh you would be able to have a unified SSID and avoid all the mess with multiple APs.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 263

Replies: 7

Related Articles