Thousands of Requests to Avira servers?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-06 21:43:21 - last edited 2022-03-22 06:28:07
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.7 Build 20220120 rel.74083(5553)

I was looking at outgoing traffic from my TP-Link router and noticed that there are thousands of requests being made to subdomains for *.safethings.avira.com

No clue why this is, as I have everything related to Avira / Antivirus disabled on the router. There should be no reason for it to contact Avira servers this frequently (or at all for that matter).

I believe same issue was happening here, and no resolution -

https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/263256

Can someone at TP-Link please explain this strange behavior?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Thousands of Requests to Avira servers?-Solution
2022-03-22 06:27:52 - last edited 2022-03-22 06:28:07

Hello @RouterUser,

I'm updating here to inform you that we have released an official FAQ for the issue you're reporting, which you may review for a list of products that have updates available:

Advisory for Frequent DNS Requests on Related Routers

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Thousands of Requests to Avira servers?
2022-03-07 05:55:35

Hello @RouterUser, thank you for posting.

Can I confirm how did you observe these requests? Can I also have a screenshot of it? To assist and figure it out efficiently, I've forwarded your case to the TP-Link support engineers who will contact you with your registered email address later. Please pay attention to your email box for follow-up. Thank you.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2022-03-07 13:55:11

@Kevin_Z I'm using Cloudflare Gateway to capture requests leaving the network. Here is a screenshot of the top two domains requested in last 24 hours (blurred subdomain just in case they are user-specific in any way) -

1338e0647bb243d5a4e7306a1fae93ea

Options
Re:Thousands of Requests to Avira servers?-Solution
2022-03-22 06:27:52 - last edited 2022-03-22 06:28:07

Hello @RouterUser,

I'm updating here to inform you that we have released an official FAQ for the issue you're reporting, which you may review for a list of products that have updates available:

Advisory for Frequent DNS Requests on Related Routers

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-03-26 22:05:50 - last edited 2022-03-26 22:07:48

@RouterUser 

If I may ask, where do you stand on this issue personally? Has it been address by TP-Link to your satisfaction? Or have you decided it's really a non-issue after all?

As you can see, Kevin_Z seems to be one of the few TP-Link agents with more than just a casual proactive attitude toward this.

I'm just curious because for me, it opened up a major can of bananas.

Options
2022-03-27 00:43:23
TP-Link still hasn't explained why the requests need to occur in the first place. Yes, we understand they are for Avira, that was already obvious, but why do they need to happen when I have the service disabled? I don't really trust any "fix" they've claimed to create. Disconnected my TP-Link Router and moved to another brand.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1243

Replies: 6

Related Articles