TP-link archer AX90; Very unstable internet/crashes modem/wifi not working on devices.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TP-link archer AX90; Very unstable internet/crashes modem/wifi not working on devices.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-24 20:16:57 - last edited 2022-03-24 20:20:45
Model: Archer AX90  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.6 Build 20220118 rel.72719(5553)

Subject pretty much sums it up: Unpredictable internet connectivity and sometimes, it even crashes our modem, which requires a reboot of both router and modem. Sometimes, wireless devices has no internet connectivity while the wired devices are fine. Sometimes, even the wired devices have no connectivity, which requires a reboot of the router and modem AGAIN. Sometimes only certain devices are connected fine wirelessly while the other half in the house cannot. 

Mind you, that the indicator light ALWAYS remains blue. It also runs incredibly hot. I currently have it sitting on a fan to keep the temnperature down.

I know my connectivity problems stem from this junky router, as I can disconnect it from the network and reinstall my Apple Airport, or plug my computer directly into the modem, which works flawlessly.

How about a firmware update that works before I throw this thing in the trash and go buy a Netgear? (which is what I should have done in the first place)

Options
2 Reply
Re:TP-link archer AX90; Very unstable internet/crashes modem/wifi not working on devices.
2022-03-24 20:48:06

@GHP83 

Based on the information that you have in your post you are on the most recent firmware, which was released just this past January.  This firmware addressed the following known bugs:

Bug Fixed:
1. Fixed some security issues;
2. Fixed the bugs related to the HomeShield feature;
3. Fixed the bug that the router has unstable Internet connection in some cases;
4. Fixed the bug that the IPv6 connection doesn't work properly in some cases;
5. Fixed the bug that the parental control take effect 1 hour earlier when the daylight saving time ends.

Since then the only other concern we know of is with frequent DNS queries which is addressed in the Beta Frimware.  Please try this FW and if it does not help we would need to troubleshoot with you.  Ideally if your going to do that on the community please share as much details of the concern, what you have tried and if you have engaged with support  so that we and the community can best assist.   

Options
Re:TP-link archer AX90; Very unstable internet/crashes modem/wifi not working on devices.
2022-03-28 16:10:00

@Carl 

Wanted to give a quick update...

I installed the beta firmware as you instructed and it seems to have fixed a lot of the issues. no modem crashes and wifi strength is consistent and no drop-offs.

For good measure, I turned "AUTOMATIC UPDATES OFF" in the system firmware menu because quite honestly, I believe the firmware that you guys released in late January had a lot to do with my problems. I did not have any issues for the 2 months I owned this router before that.

I'll check back and keep you updated about the performance and stability.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 757

Replies: 2