Security using white list does not work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-24 20:52:59
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 5.8

(Serial Number 2209L6006398, purchased February 2021 from Amazon)

For the past year, this router has worked correctly and reliably on Spectrum cable 400Mbps service.  But over many years (cable since 1998) I have used the "MAC address validation" feature in routers as a Whitelist, or automatic password, to block unwelcome logins in my urban environment with restaurants that are within walking and wifi distance.

The Archer A7 manual calls MAC address validation a "Whitelist", but I have not been able to make it work on the Archer A7.  I set up the router assuming Whitelisting worked, but then none of my devices could get access!  I could see from another table that the devices were trying to access the router but were being blocked.  When I turned off Whitelisting, all of them got access, and all have continued to work.  I tried re-entering a couple of the MAC addresses as an experiment; the devices still didn't get through if Whitelisting was enabled but did when it was disabled.  I have never used the Blacklisting feature.

Is it known already by other users or by TP-Link that Whitelisting fails?  Is anyone using it successfully?  I have not tried doing a firmware upgrade because of the risk of turning my router into a brick.  It is unfortunate that there is no way to upgrade the Archer A7 firmware except live online.  I'd feel more confident if I could download the firmware using my computer, compare a CRC check of the firmware to a number on the website, then put the firmware on a USB flash drive and install it from my computer or from the USB port of the Archer A7.

No, I am not mistaking Blacklisting for Whitelisting; the user interface on the Archer A7 is clear and straightforward.

I am not sure the "Hardware Version" and "Firmware Version" above are correct--there is only one note on my paperwork, which says "Ver 5.8".  The router is physically mounted up high where it is not easy to get that information from the back panel.  I wrote down the serial number above when I got it and am sure that is valid.

--EngrLee

Options
1 Reply
Re:Security using white list does not work
2022-03-25 18:09:14

@EngrLee 

In the future i would suggest not posting product serial numbers in your threads so to enusre security.  I can't edit that part but i would suggest you do.  Its not something we need for troubleshooting anyways

Frist to address your comments about firmware update.  I assume you have your router linked to a TP-Link ID.  That is the only way to update a product's firmware online.  It is not the only way though.  In the router's web UI you can go to Advanced > System Tools > Frimware Upgrade and load a FW file from this list.  The newest is always on top.  

For the Whitelist:  Yes the whitelist is a list of devices allowed on your network.  And it is based on MAC address.  However recently Client devices companies such as Apple and Google have been adding features that privatize your MAC address.  These Spoofers instead show your MAC address publically as something it is not.  If these feature are enabled the MAC you input might not be correct.  Try disabling these features and then putting the MAC that is displayed and testing.  If it works reenable the feature and test again.  

Also if you are concern with these outside forces from connecting to your network the easiest fix is to make a difficult netowrk password.  Without the SSID and password no one is going to access your network.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 625

Replies: 1

Related Articles