Votes

Homeshield Improvements

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

Homeshield Improvements

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Homeshield Improvements
Homeshield Improvements
2022-04-06 23:23:46 - last edited 2022-04-06 23:32:42
Model: Deco X90  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.2

I've just bought a pair of Deco X90's, replacing my Nest Wifi mesh system.  The wifi coverage and speed is excellent.  I'm a parent to 3 teenagers so parental controls are very important to me.  I'm happy to pay for Homeshield Pro, but I think it needs some very fundamental fixes.  Or maybe I just don't fully understand it yet?

Firstly, what's the difference between "Bedtime" and "Offtime"?  The interface is different, and it appears that bedtime can only block wifi for consecutive hours...but if Offtime can do everything bedtime does, why have both?

Also, the concept of weekdays vs weekends is flawed.  If you have school-age kids, I'm guessing you'll want their bedtime/offtime to start before midnight each night, on nights where they have school the next day.  So that's actually Sunday thru Thursday, not Monday to Friday. e.g. on a Sunday night I want my youngest off at 9.30pm, whereas on a Friday night he can have until 10.30 as there's no school the next day.  So I can't set 9.30pm as offtime Monday to Friday, as he'll get cut off too early on a Friday night.  I like how Microsoft caters for this on their Family Safety app, when you go in to set bed/offtime hours, you can choose whichever days of the week you want it to apply to.  Right now in HomeShield I'm having to do every single day individually.  And i'll have to adjust it all again when school break starts this weekend.

Also, playing around with Time Limits and Offtime, when they kick in it shows "Blocked" on my child's name, but this doesn't seem to happen for bedtime, it shows normal as though nothing has kicked in.  It's making it hard for me to troubleshoot another problem I have in HomeShield, where ever since DST ended (I got my X90's a few days before DST ended) my kid's bedtime is kicking in an hour early.  So my son with a 9.30pm bedtime is being cut off at 8.30pm.  The app shows the right date and time, it shows 8.30pm, but my son has no wifi.  I changed his bedtime to 10.30pm, and now it cuts off at 9.30 like I wanted.

Also, the "Reward" feature doesn't seem to impact bedtime.  My son was approaching his 9.30 bedtime and asked for an extra 30 minutes, I used "Reward", but it blocked him at 9.30 anyway.  I think it's only impacting the "Time Limits".  With the Google Nest Wifi you could delay the start of their bed/offtime by 30 minutes or more, it'd be great to have that.

Any ideas here welcome, otherwise I'd love to see HomeShield improved going forward.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Homeshield Improvements
2022-04-07 08:37:14 - last edited 2022-04-07 09:13:56

@JuzDU 

Hi, nice to see you again.

There are more information for your reference:

1. The weekdays and weekends could be customized by yourself. Bedtime normally starts on the previous day and could be across days and Offtime takes effect on the same day.

8bd72566ef314553a515466c5ba60caf

2. The "Reward"  is based on the "Time Limits" and does not work during "Bedtime" and "Offtime".

It seems like a good feature and I will note it down and forward it to the engineers for further evaluation.

3."Also, playing around with Time Limits and Offtime, when they kick in it shows "Blocked" on my child's name, but this doesn't seem to happen for bedtime, it shows normal as though nothing has kicked in."---Were you saying that when the time is up or under the scheduled no internet period, there would be a "blocked" label here? but the label is not here during Bedtime? I tested on my side and the iPhone only said " no internet connection" when it reached "Offtime" and "Bedtime".

242d028fd317416396caf766a191ac45

Options
Re:Homeshield Improvements
2022-04-07 11:57:05 - last edited 2022-04-07 11:57:48

@David-TP 

Thanks for the quick reply.  That's cool that you can customise weekdays and weekends. It took me a while to find, but I finally spotted "Set Weekdays & Weekends" under one of my children's profiles.  It looks like changing it under either bedtime or offtime also changes it for both bedtime and offtime.  And it's configurable individually for each child's profile which is great!

Bedtime does seem to be broken over here in Australia though, offtime is working correctly where if I say off at 9.30 it works, but if I say bedtime at 9.30 it turns their wifi off at 8.30. I tried deleting my kid's profiles today, restarting my Deco devices and creating the profiles again, but it happened again tonight, bedtime is kicking in an hour early.  That one has me stumped.

As for showing "Blocked"...I'm not using time limits at all, just bedtime or offtime.  When either of those kick in, the Deco app doesn't show my child as blocked.  It has blocked them, on their phone they have no wifi, but the app doesn't say blocked, so I can't tell if they've been blocked by looking in the app on my phone.  Could it be updated so that when offtime or bedtime is in play it shows their profile as blocked in the app?

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 382

Replies: 2

Voters 1