TP-Link Cloud option not available when in Access Point mode?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-18 20:01:43 - last edited 2022-07-21 18:21:17
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.2.0 Build 20211210 rel.56314

I have two Archer A7 routers, v5, with the latest firmware update. They are both set up in access point mode with a Netgear router as the main. I'm pretty sure that I saw the TP-Link Cloud and Onemesh options on the Archer setting page when I first set them up, but now those options are gone. I'm not interested in Onemesh, but would like the cloud option if it allows me to access the Archer routers remotely, i.e., when not on the same network. As it is now, the Tether app only sees the routers when I'm on the home network. Same for tplinkwifi.net in a web browser. 

Is that normal? I mean, are those options not available when in access point mode? I suppose I could switch back to normal (not access point) mode and see if the cloud and Onemesh options come back, but that's a lot of trouble!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TP-Link Cloud option not available when in Access Point mode?-Solution
2022-07-20 18:12:08 - last edited 2022-07-21 18:21:17

@JRKey,

When setting your router to Access Point Mode, you are simply making the TP-Link Routers function as an extension of the network and features of the network provided by the main unit. Unfortunately, this means that many of the management and security features are disabled and rely on those of the main network.  If you remove the routers from access point mode you will, unfortunately, have two separate networks, which causes further issues such as DoubleNAT. 

The best solution, if you would like to use the features on the Archer A7 Routers, is to set up one of the A7 Routers as the Main Unit and Change the Netgear Router to an Access Point. Otherwise, I would recommend looking for another solution such as comparing the features with those offred by your NetGear router.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:TP-Link Cloud option not available when in Access Point mode?-Solution
2022-07-20 18:12:08 - last edited 2022-07-21 18:21:17

@JRKey,

When setting your router to Access Point Mode, you are simply making the TP-Link Routers function as an extension of the network and features of the network provided by the main unit. Unfortunately, this means that many of the management and security features are disabled and rely on those of the main network.  If you remove the routers from access point mode you will, unfortunately, have two separate networks, which causes further issues such as DoubleNAT. 

The best solution, if you would like to use the features on the Archer A7 Routers, is to set up one of the A7 Routers as the Main Unit and Change the Netgear Router to an Access Point. Otherwise, I would recommend looking for another solution such as comparing the features with those offred by your NetGear router.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:TP-Link Cloud option not available when in Access Point mode?
2022-07-20 19:22:06

@Riley_S Thanks for the explanation!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 631

Replies: 2

Related Articles