full home wifi solution - concrete house

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-10 13:27:55
Model: AC500  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi guys,

i need your help to have a great wifi home setup.

i am currently running a 2 wifi extenders to help extend wifi in the house ( 2000 sq ft bungalow)

1 as a hub and another as a extender.

the problem i still have because of the concrete house is that when we are in the backyard close to the pool the wifi dosent reach.

i think i would need to put something in the covered porch

and also the wifi dosent extend to the detach garage wictch i do need.

what kind of setup would yall recommend?

Options
7 Reply
Re:full home wifi solution - concrete house
2022-08-11 01:24:29
A Mesh system.
Options
2022-08-11 12:26:36

where could i find all the info how to do a full mesh system for the house?

Options
2022-08-11 15:00:15 - last edited 2022-08-11 15:00:33

@jrdn003 

You might want to look into using some Power Line adapters to provide a wired backhaul connection from your main router to some range extenders.  If you are not familiar, these devices use electrical outlets, and your homes electrical wiring, as a means of transmitting data.  Therefore, your electrical wires act like ethernet cables.  The problem with a mesh network is you would have to carefully place the nodes since the conrete walls may be problematic in their ability to communicate with one another.

Take a look at https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/powerline/tl-wpa7517-kit/ to get an idea.

Good luck.

Options
2022-08-11 15:25:52

@pcuttle 

isisnt this like a wifi extender?

Options
2022-08-11 16:00:43

@jrdn003 

The big difference is that it acts like an AP because it is using your electrical wiring as a physical connection to your primary router.  Setups could look like this depending on what Power Line devices you use :

Router <<<----Ethernet cable ---->>>Power Line adapter [--- Electrical wiring ---]--Power Line AP )))))  Wifi Devices 

or

Router <<<----Ethernet cable ---->>>Power Line adapter [--- Electrical wiring ---]-- Power Line adapter <---- Ethernet cable ---> Wireless AP ))))) Wifi devices

Think of powerline adapters as Ethernet cards that use your elecrical wiring as ehternet cables.  The only difference is the two above setups is if the second Power Line device has a wireless AP built into it or you connect a soerate one.

Hope this makes sense.  Some Googleing can help or look at the product I suggested for more details.

Options
2022-08-11 16:38:42
The power line extender uses your power line instead of the wifi between your router and the extender. They are not without possible issues. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaWrtRheVxQ for some Mesh info and see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohRydpqvCTc for some differences with Mesh, WIFI extende, and Power line extender. Do not worry about brands as you want to understand the concepts. The biggest issue is placement. The extender or Mesh nodes need to have a good signal to pass on so place them closer to the router than your dead space.
Options
2022-08-11 16:47:37

@jrdn003

Being in a concrete house is going to make any kind of wireless communication between rooms difficult and sporadic so it is important to think about how your devices connect to these extenders. If the signal cannot penetrate the walls, the extenders are a great option for creating separate networks. However, I recommend looking into a mesh system with a wired backhaul if the signal can go through the walls. 

As a warning, powerline connectors have to be used on the same electrical circuit as the main adapter, otherwise, there will be issues with signal quality and consistency, One last reminder, it is not uncommon to see severe signal loss with wifi extenders compared to modern mesh systems; to see how this works, I recommend moving one of your extenders into the same room as the router and test the speed on the extender.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 364

Replies: 7