Daisy Chain/Hopping wirelessly with 5 Deco S4’s

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-21 11:58:10
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

So after installing 6 Deco S4's and having everything working beautifully, main deco supplying signal to dining room deco,kitchen deco connecting to dining room, garage deco connection to kitchen, music studio connecting to main and bedroom deco connecting to Music studio, I had great speed all over my home and yard. I decided to remove the music studio deco since it was so close to 2 other units and now all decos have decided to connect to the main deco unit. I have rebooted all, deleted the network and started from scratch as a new set up and even tried to set up with all 6 again as the original set up was but no matter what they all connect to the main deco now and my signal and speeds have gone from great to slow at best in the bedroom and garage since I now only have 1 bar of signal from those deco units. Called customer support and they told me "no problem, I can fi=x this easily for only $100." Are you kidding me! I only had these for a couple months when all of this happened and supposedly its such an easy fix that they think its justified to charge me $100 after I just spent almost $300 for their products that are suppose to this on their own! I am going to make one more attempt to let customer service make this right or else all 6 S4's will become target practice for my little friend. 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Daisy Chain/Hopping wirelessly with 5 Deco S4’s
2022-08-22 18:49:22

@Gotstafish,

Sorry to hear that such a small change broke your network setup like this. If I recall correctly, the Decos will optimize their connections to each other automatically every day, however, you can 'encourage' this process by finding the "optimize now" button in the Deco App. If I may ask, what did customer support say is the answer to your problem? A Network switch for wired backhaul?

The number one setting that causes issues for our users would be the QoS setting in the Deco app; you can try to disable this function to see if your Deco Nodes are given their full potential speed. The second feature that causes issues with some of our user's devices, that results in poor connection quality is the "fast roaming" option, as some devices, like iPhones, have difficulty switching bands when this newer feature is used.

Let me know if neither of these things fix your issue and if you have any suspicions for why this speed decrease would occur.

Options
2022-08-24 11:44:22

@Riley_S I was told that my network was creating to many IP addresses and that he could fix this easily for $100. Sounded like a scam but I called the right number. I disconnected everything including an ethernet switch which i left out of the mix when rebooting everything and still had the same issue. I've used the optimize system option many times and still all decos connect to the main. I haven't changed the other settings you mentioned. Just went with the factory settings.

Options
2022-08-24 16:58:13

@Gotstafish 

Hello, yes this was a scam for sure.  TP-Link does not charge for our support and we would certainly not tell you your network was creating too many IP addresses.  Your IP address is only limited by two things.  Your subnet and the DHCP pool settings of your router.  If you can please provide more information such as the phone number you called or the website you went to.  

Additionally, we recommend all customers review this FAQ

To speak about why all units are connecting directly to the Main unit.  This is because when the Deco is first powered up it will do a scan for the best connection and will establish that as its point of transmission.  This can be Redone by power cycling.  The network optimization currently only optimizes client connections.  We are working on future enhancements and show have those out soon, what those enhancements will do we can't say yet.  Currently we recommend with the units in their current locations power cycle each Deco.  Plugging in the furthest Deco last.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 559

Replies: 3

Related Articles