Deco M9 ethernet connection slows down and ethernet backbone fails every few days

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M9 ethernet connection slows down and ethernet backbone fails every few days

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-28 15:10:57 - last edited 2022-08-28 17:08:37
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.1

Firmware 1.5.1 Build 20210126 Rel 62679

Hardware version: 1.1

I have multiple installations of Deco M9 plus using Ethernet backbone/backhaul. All of the installations after about 7 days have individual nodes disconnect from the Ethernet and switch to using the wireless backbone/backhaul. A reboot of the node does not re-enable the Ethernet backhaul connection, you have to physically unplug the node from electricity in order for the Ethernet backhaul to re-enable (and even this takes multiple unplugs). Additionally, the ethernet speed drops as a warning (tests at about 20 when i have 300) and I have to physically unplug it from electricity to get the speed back up to around 300.

Does anyone have a fix or is this a hardware design failure?

Thank you

Update 1:

Checked a site with a single M9 router, the ethernet M9 to the desktop speed was 20 on a 300 connection (using Cat 6 and 1gb ethernet ports). It took several power cycles for this to correct and give me the full 300 over ethernet.

It appears there is something wrong with M9 ethernet ports that cause them to slow down the connection after some period of time. My guess is once that happens the Deco router switches to wireless backhaul since the ethernet backhaul is performing slower than wireless backhaul. Given it is summer and quite hot, and these units run very hot normally, could this be overheating?

Anyone else noticing periodic slowdown of ethernet speeds?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco M9 ethernet connection slows down and ethernet backbone fails every few days
2022-08-30 22:04:59

Hey @TpNewb,

If I am correct, the nodes for the deco system, choose their backhaul method on boot, this would make sense why you would have to physically unplug the node to force it to reconfigure.

When this is occurring, does unplugging the ethernet cable and replugging not reset the connection? If you do this, you may be able to then manage the backhaul method from within the deco app.

If it is causing an internet slowdown, my attention would automatically be drawn towards the QoS setting in the Deco App. I would recommend testing the app's speed when the issue is occurring compared to normal. If this is the case, please let us know if resetting the QoS Settings or manually setting the speed fixes the degradation in connection you are seeing.

I was also able to find this little piece of information that may help guide you or others on the right path. 

"Switching from Wi-Fi backhaul to Ethernet backhaul may create a short loop in the network for 1~2s, if your switch supports loop detection, it may block the port used by Deco. Please turn off the loop detection function of your switch, reboot your switch and try again."

Options
Re:Deco M9 ethernet connection slows down and ethernet backbone fails every few days
2022-08-30 22:11:05 - last edited 2022-08-30 22:12:01

@Riley_S

Thanks for your reply.

No, unplugging the ethernet makes no difference in speed. The only thing that helps is unplugging the Deco unit and leaving it unplugged for a few minutes, and then trying again (after it perhaps has cooled down).

What is strange is this slow down occurs on installs with only 1 Deco unit, no mesh system in place at all. Just 1 deco connected to a Cable Modem and plugged directly into the desktop computer.

As for QOS settings, I am not using any QOS setting, it is the standard value in the app.

Options
2022-08-30 23:27:28

@TpNewb,

Does the unit feel excessively warm to the touch? Or is it sitting in a sunny location. I cannot see a slowdown such as this being affected by an overheating issue. Also, the QoS setting by default will run a speed test to configure the default settings. You can force this speed test to alter the default settings(which may be the cause of the few minutes interruption), or set the speeds manually. I am curious to see if forcing this test would bring the router back up to full speeds

Options
2022-10-09 21:40:42

Riley_S wrote

@TpNewb,

Does the unit feel excessively warm to the touch? Or is it sitting in a sunny location. I cannot see a slowdown such as this being affected by an overheating issue. Also, the QoS setting by default will run a speed test to configure the default settings. You can force this speed test to alter the default settings(which may be the cause of the few minutes interruption), or set the speeds manually. I am curious to see if forcing this test would bring the router back up to full speeds

@Riley_S Sorry for delayed reply, it took a while to happen again. On a warmer day i found my ethernet was again performing at a speed of 9 instead of 330. The unit felt hot (as it always does) and i had to unplug it, let it sit for a few minutes and when I re-connected it worked great. I forgot to try running a speed test from the unit itself, but I can tell you both the ethernet and the wifi speed tests both performed at like 9 instead of 330

Options
2022-10-10 17:49:34

@TpNewb,

Have you compared the temperature to one of the other deco nodes? While the temperature can vary slightly, if it is drastically different I would recommend going through our official support chat, email, or phone lines to see if they can confirm that the problem is related to the unit overheating. This is the information that we have on how to try and minimize the effects of heat on the device. Our support page methods can be found here: US Support Page

Deco M9 Plus/Deco M5 is supposed to get warm under normal operating conditions as an electronic device. Due to their slightly flat design, and with the surface closer to the device's cooling module, Deco M9 Plus/Deco M5 may feel a little warmer than the devices having cylinder design. However, it's confirmed strictly that Deco could work continuously without any problems/safety hazards at a room temperature of 40 °C/104°F due to the test results in TP-Link's lab.

A cool and well-ventilated environment is ideal for Deco products, please:

1. Put your Deco in the open, do not cover your Deco with any objects, avoid placing your Deco in a closed space, and don’t let it suffocate.

2. Avoid placing your Deco on top of any running electronic devices. Putting two electronic devices together would greatly increase the surrounding temperature, which is bad for the Deco and the device beneath it.

3. Keep your Deco away from direct heat (like fireplaces and space heaters) or excessive sunlight.

4. Use the original power adapter that came with the Deco.

5. You may find something that can hang Deco products up, in this case, the heat dissipation will be better than before.

If it is a little difficult for you to find a bracket, you could refer to this link.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 425

Replies: 5

Related Articles