Unable to connect 3rd mesh DeCO X60

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-29 06:22:53 - last edited 2022-09-29 10:08:15
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 2.14.10

Hi 

Bought the 3 pack DECO X60 mesh system.

Able to setup the MAIN Unit and 2nd Deco unit ( this one I plugged in and it automatically got connected to the mesh system).

HOWEVER, for the 3rd unit, I plug it in and keeps blinking blue, I tried via the app, to add a DECO and go through the steps to find the new DECO but nothing worked; tried RESETTING it 2 -3 times and still same issue, keeps blinking blue.

I moved it right next to the main router (primary deco) and still the same output.

I moved my 2nd deco unit from (living area) to now our bedroom and that got connected straightaway.

UPDATE: connecting the 2nd satellite unit to 3rd Satellite unit via Ethernet cable and it works !! but as soon as I disconnect it goes back to RED.

So what can I do to get the 3rd unit working ??

Please advise

Calvin.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Unable to connect 3rd mesh DeCO X60
2022-09-29 18:56:21

@CalvinHobbes,

So a few things:

Because you bought this in a pack, the units should have attempted to connect to the network automatically without a reset.

Next, the Blue Blinking Light simply means that it was ready for the setup process.

Since the light has changed to RED, meaning that the Deco is setup and is now disconnected from the network, I would recommend reconnecting the Deco via Ethernet, and making sure that the wireless networking and backhaul options are all enabled. 

Since you also have three of the same unit, an easy solution with no troubleshooting would be to swap the satellite deco and the main deco units.

Options
2022-10-03 04:41:29 - last edited 2022-10-03 05:09:44

@Riley_S 

Apologies for the delayed response ( kids kept me busy to test it out what u advised) - still facing issues but here is what I did :

Hallway - Main unit

Bedroom - 2nd unit

living - 3rd unit

When i connect Main unit via Ethernet to 3rd unit - the 3rd unit comes alive and all is OK. But as soon as I unplug the Ethernet cable, it turns RED.

I even tried to go through app settings and tried to make unit 3 the main unit, but it didn't work as I couldn't input PPPoE (username password) settings for the 3rd unit to accept.

Then

I reset all units and restarted to set up the unit 3 as the main unit but the app didn't recognize the unit in spite of this flashing BLUE.

I had to revert back to set the Hallway unit as the main unit; and my 3rd unit as the access point (which also works super seamlessly and gets connected to the mesh system, easily).

ALSO - I have uninstalled / re installed the DECO app > forced stop, clear the cache, data etc. and still nothing worked.

From your comment:

I would recommend reconnecting the Deco via Ethernet and making sure that the wireless networking and backhaul options are all enabled. 

I tried all settings and backhaul did/does work when in Ethernet mode.

What can i do next ? is it the faulty 3rd unit ?? 

Options
2022-10-03 17:48:18

@CalvinHobbes,

Given how many different arrangements you went through, it sounds like there may be a problem with the wireless backhaul feature on the last unit. If I remember correctly, the Deco units only check for which backhaul method to use once per day and when the boot up. I would try to reconnect the unit with the ethernet unplugged to see if this will allow the unit to choose a wireless backhaul.

What do you mean that you were unable to input the PPPoE settings? This is the first screen that should appear when going through the setup process. Was your phone never able to detect the unit?

I would recommend also getting in direct contact with our support team and pointing them to this thread, as they may be able to better know if this is a fault or setting issue.

TP-Link Support Page

Options
2022-10-05 16:32:40

@Riley_S 

So had to return the item back to amazon and got the new replacement.. and voila all worked seamlessly.. !! in 5 mins or so.

I saw that this does not let u choose 2.4 or 5ghz.. so is it auto ?? and auto chooses the channel? anything else i can configure for seamless and achieve great speeds ( I am on optic fibre 500mbps speed).

Options
2022-10-05 16:54:43

@CalvinHobbes,

You cannot choose between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz because both your device and router will negotiate and trade between the two bands as needed. That way you will always be connected to the strongest available band. 

For channel selection, manually selecting channels in not possible for our Deco Units, as there are many factors that can affect the performance of a channel in a mesh network that may not be easy to find. The Deco Network,  whenever it optimizes, will select the channels that have the least traffic and interference automatically

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 548

Replies: 5