A6 as a wireless client

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

A6 as a wireless client

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
A6 as a wireless client
A6 as a wireless client
2022-10-05 11:06:38
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hi

I was hoping I could get a steer on How to use my Archer C6 as a wireless client. :)

I currently have a Virgin media 200meg Router in the other room and don't have way to get LAN cable through to my pc.

Previously had a D Link Dap 1360 that acted as a Wireless Client to which I had a LAN Cable into it that allowed for a 2.4ghz connection. Good but a bit underwhelming for my work needs.

*this works better for me than having wireless dongle to pick up the WIFI as they tend to konk out / be unreliable.

I was hoping that the Archer C6 could replace the D Link it as it can connect to a 5ghz allowing for a faster connection and be a better unit in terms of gathering a solid 5ghz wifi connection.

I have tried to source various tutorials although they don't seem to address the need for LAN input at my PC end  -they tend to be more involved with a direct connection to the router.

So in short:

Archer C6 picking up 5Gghz wifi (un-attached to the router) allowing me to have it in my office next to my PC to which I would attach a lan cable.

A steer in the right direction to a reliable  tutorial would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you 

:)

Options
17 Reply
Re:A6 as a wireless client
2022-10-05 16:14:25

@23Eddie 

If I understand you correctly you are asking about how to set up an Archer A6 / Archer C6 to connect to a Host router wirelessly.  If that is correct then what you would want to do is use the router's WDS feature.  To enable this you would log into the router's web UI.  Click on Advanced > System Tools > System Parameters.  In this menu, you will see two WDS options one for 2.4 and one for 5GHz.  Once enabled you will want to Survey to find the Host's SSID and connect to it.  You may need to select the type of security as well and input the network password.  Once WDS is enabled and connected your Archer A6 or Archer C6 will act as a 4-LAN port network extender.  You will want to complete this on both bands

Options
2022-10-05 16:25:49

@Carl  Hi Carl.

Thanks for the assist.

Yes that sounds ideal. Will be giving that a shot!

Much appreciated and thanks again for your time.

Options
2022-10-05 18:07:17

@Carl 

A bit more assistance if I could please. :)

So I took the C6 Router and plugged it into my PC via LAN. - *Not connected to the main Virgin media router.

As suggested I ran through your steps and activated the WDS option on the C6 for 5ghz via the C6 WEB_UI. * It would not allow me to do 2ghz - as it was grayed out.

- There was no Internet via the C6 LAN into my PC. ;(

It did however work via Tplink C6 WiFi although it removed the internet from my Virgin media (main Router) 5G channel.

This means my wife's work computer (a mac) could not connect to either the Virgin media (main Router) 5G channel or the new C6 Tplink for some reason - even on a reboot etc. *to note The distance between the two routers is relatively short.

I imagine (with my limited understanding) is that the C6 router canceled out / overtook the Virgin (Main router) 5G channel.

I am not sure if that is the primary function of WDS.

I subsequently turned off the C6 WDS and its all back to Normal on the Virgin media (main Router).

--

I was hoping that I would keep the Virgin media Hub functional as per normal and the C6 would allow me to access the Virgin media WIFI - through the C6 - via the LAN.

I hope I dot have the wrong end of the stick here.

I appreciate any further assistance.

Thank you.

Options
2022-10-06 23:00:05 - last edited 2022-10-06 23:00:32

@Carl 

Hi. Any chance you have any further ideas on the my reply. ☝️

Thanks 

Options
2022-10-07 00:41:32

@23Eddie 

So when you use a router in WDS mode you are essentially setting it up as a Range Extender. Some host routers require the MAC address to be added to a white list to allow service to it.  

Let me ask this Where the virgin gateway is and where you want to put the C6 are they on the same main breaker?  Meaning are the room's power fed by breakers in the same panel?  If so I would suggest trying a PLC kit like the https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/powerline/tl-pa7010-kit/ Such a kit would allow you to use your homes powerlines to extend the service and allow you to connect the Archer C6 in AP mode in the remote location. 

Options
2022-10-07 12:57:35

@Carl 

Thanks for getting back to me. Apologies for the large font on the previous message - when I am on my phone it appears to drastically scale up the font!

To answer your question. :)

The Virgin media router is connected through the wall to the fibre optic broadband in the living room.

I am in the UK so the breaker for me would be the fuse box - to which I think I am - not 100%sure. I am also running extension cord/lead to my pc in the office rather than directly into the wall plug socket (due to location so not that feasible to get to the plug directly) so not sure if that would affect the efficiency of the TL-PA7010 KIT you suggested.

So as I understand it:

1. One TL-PA7010 KIT into a plug near the router in the Living room - connect that to the router with an Ethernet cable 

2. The other TL-PA7010 KIT into an extension cable in the office. 

3. Connect that TL-PA7010 KIT into the C6 with an Ethernet cable.

4. Turn the C6 into AP mode.

5. Connect my PC to the C6 via LAN.

Result = Internet in both rooms without an WIFI channel confusion?

Or would I need to do the suggested MAC white list etc

--

As mentioned in my previous post :) - I was hoping that I would keep the Virgin media Hub functional as per normal and the C6 would allow me to access the Virgin media WIFI - through the C6 - via the LAN.

I suppose the TL-PA7010 KIT would be helpful although I was so close to fixing it already.

If I was to add the MAC address would that fix my previous problem of it taking over the Virgin media Channels.

If possible could you suggest a link that shows me how to do this?

**is this goes according to plan with the MAC white list would I be able to connect my PC to the C6 via a LAN?

In my previous test the WIFI worked (apart from the virgin media issue) although the LAN cable did not.

Thanks again for your help. :)

Options
2022-10-07 15:08:02

@23Eddie 

Sorry didn't realize you were in the UK.  You would want to look at any of these models then.  Your understanding is correct:

1.  Main PLC unit plugs in near the Virgin device and then connects to it via Ethernet

2.  Remote PLC plugs in where you want to set up the Archer C6 and connects to its WAN port via Ethernet

3.  Archer C6 put in AP mode, to avoid double NAT

4.  PC and other devices can then connect to the Archer C6 either via ethernet or wireless.  

5.  Note:  in AP mode all devices connected to the Archer C6 will be on the same network as the clients on your Virgin device so if you need to say access a printer or something else you will be able to. 

Best Regards 

Options
2022-10-09 21:13:12

@23Eddie 

The reason why WDS is not working the way uo would like is that is it deicating the 5Ghz band for the backhaul communication between your router and C6 AP.  This allows improved speeds for the communication from router to any WDS APs, but limits your clients to using the 2.4GHz band for network access.

The powerline kits, as described above, may be your best option if you have an electrical outlet near your remote PC. I have been using them for years to etxtend network to areas that have poor wifi reception. I do not think it would work well plugged into an extension chord though unless it was relatively short and heavy guage wire.  They also cannat be plugged into surge protectors as they tend to filter the data riding on the AC power.

Options
2022-10-10 08:03:57

@Carl Brilliant. Thank you . Much appreciated.

Options
2022-10-10 08:04:48
Hi. Will take that into consideration. :) Thank you.
Options