A6 as a wireless client

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

A6 as a wireless client

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
17 Reply
Re:A6 as a wireless client
2022-10-18 19:39:43

@Carl 

Hi - I was hoping to get a bit more advice please.

I went ahead and setup the Powelink TP AV600 as suggested. I went for that model as I only need two LAN inputs plus my Internet speed is only 200meg so a More spec model would be overkill.

Its all plugged directly into the walls either end and via cat5 as per the box cables.

The Powelink in the office is connected to the Archer C6 in AP mode.

My pc is connected to the Archer C6 via LAN Cat5.

I am getting internet although only at 20meg.

I can only deduce thats in a lower channel as it feels akin to the 2.5ghz speed.

Is there an way to configure it for a better speed via the C6 UI or vai the Virgin media router.

Please advise

Thanks

Options
2022-10-19 18:14:30

@23Eddie 

What I would do is first test the speed of a PC connected directly to the remote powerline adapter and see if the speeds to the computer are any better.  If not then the speed issue is related to distance or interference/noise on the powerlines themselves. If there is, then move the remote adapter closer to the main and test again this will confirm.  You can take care of this by placing as much as you can behind a surge protector because it will filter the noise.  

Options
2022-10-19 18:40:31 - last edited 2022-10-19 19:08:52

@Carl 

Thanks for geting back to me.

Could you eloborate on this please "You can take care of this by placing as much as you can behind a surge protector because it will filter the noise. "

Does that mean I place a surge protector (the ones you find on a standard - ones that say surge on it - multi plug extension lead) in the wall by the Modem and the office one by my PC. So both the TP Av600's are attached to the those as opposed to being in the wall.

Could you perhaps give me steps to avoid confusion.

I also cant connect my pc to the TPAv600 by the main router as it has only one LAN input which is currently going into the router

please advise :)

Thank you.

*** I just tried putting serge protector at either end as above and it dropped from 20meg to under one meg so thats a massive set back or extra noise etc

Options
2022-10-20 16:04:47

@23Eddie 

It means that plug whatever you can into a surge protector. appliances, routers, stereos, etc.  Not only does this protect your items from surges and electrical storms but it filters the normal noise an item would put on your lines when tapping in and drawing power from an outlet.  So really just anything.  The less noise created from these items on the lines the clearer the the line is for the datastream and the faster speeds you will see.  

also this article can help explain too:  https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/150615 

Options
2022-10-20 18:55:38 - last edited 2022-10-20 19:05:48

@Carl 

I mentioned that in my last post although perhaps you did not see that as it was at the bottom ---- "I just tried putting serge protector at either end as above and it dropped from 20meg to under one meg so thats a massive set back or extra noise etc"

**Standby for mild Irked customer moan**

I think the TPAV600 was a roll of the dice and it not going to work for my aging electrcial setup and its bit of a dead end. I kinda wish I was more aware of this random factor related results before being ushered towards these new products. 

I understand there are many factors involved for you to be able to fix it easily from your location although as a cutomer experience I am getting a little deflated with my mutiple TP purchasing choices.

I think the first time that I setup the Archer C6 as a router I actually got the results I needed it just caused issues with my wifes Mac Setup. 

Perhaps one last swing at the axe, before I admit defeat and retire my new purchases to the cupboard under the stairs, might be to set the Archer C6 back to router mode as before and configure the channels so they dont interfere which each other or something along those lines. I know its not a simple task although ive got enough gas in the TP customer tank to go for it!

I imagine that's someting to do with the correct channels or router to router configuration. 

If you have any advice that could be explained, with steps, that a laymen can interprete or a link to such a solid tutorial that would be greatly appreciated.

I do appreciate all your assistance and I hope you can look past my frustration and help with another steer.

Thank you

Options
2022-10-21 20:53:43

@23Eddie 

I did mish that.  I apologize but also I think there was a bit of confusion about what I was saying.  You do not want to plug the powerline adapters into a surge protector.  PLC (powerline adapters) need to be plugged directly into the power outlets.  Plugging in PLC into surge protectors will do exactly what it did to you and reduce the signal to nothing. 

It's everything else that you want to connect to surge protectors.  Appliances like washers and dryers, Electronics like game consoles, stereos, and TVs, and simple items like lamps even. I realize this isn't possible for all items but the more you can connect to surge protectors the more you reduce line noise and interference and the better the line is for the data stream.  

Setting up the  Archer A6 in router mode will do nothing in terms of the signal or wireless channel congestion.  it would just put the rotuer in a double NAT and could reduce performance because of the double translation.  

Options
2022-10-21 22:46:10

@Carl I really wish you had explained that better or perhaps previous suggested that might have even been something to factor in a before purchasing this product. Making all electrical items the majority of my house go through surge protectors is almost laughable. It would be a cable nightmare. Anyways.. I try to get some advice about sorting out the the double NAT issue from another source. 👍

Options
Related Articles