Wireless Off Time Not Working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-09 00:28:34
Tags: #Parental Control #wifi off
Model: Archer C4000  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.2 Build 20220114 rel.1439(5553

Hello:
I've been trying to have my wireless turn Off from 11PM (23:00) to 5:00AM (05).  However, it doesn't consitently work. I did the update to 20220114. And I did set the router to obtain time from the internet in the wireless settings.  However, sometimes my wifi stays on after those hours. Anyone know what else I have to do?  Thanks in advance.  (NOTE: I do have the Primary and Secondary DNS set myself rather than "get dynamically from ISP" - not sure if that matters.)

Options
4 Reply
Re:Wireless Off Time Not Working
2022-10-09 20:33:58 - last edited 2022-10-09 20:48:34

@Shaner41 

I would advise using Parental controls rahter than actually using the featire to turn the WifI radios off.  If your goal is to limit access to the internet, during bed time for example, devices assigned to the parental control profile for that would be blocked from the internet.  This way devices that need connections to Wifi to communicate with other devices on your network or the internet would not be shut down (doorbell cameras, alarm systmes, etc...) 

DNS settings have nothing to do with it but the router being able to keep accurate time. It may be turning the radios off at the wrong times.  The only way your DNS settings might be causing a problem is if the servers you chose are not allowing the NTP server names to be resoled to proper IP addresses.  This is highly unlikely.  If you go to the command prompt and perfrom an nslookup with the name of the NTP server you are using, you should get some IPs back.  For example:

nslookup us(dot)pool(dot)ntp(dot)org would return IPs associated with that time server.  Replace the (dot) with . If the time looks good in the time settings area, this would not be the problem but thought I would explain DNS a little.

Options
2022-10-09 21:20:40

@pcuttle Thanks! That is very helpful and I appreciate the input and the DNS info. I'll do the DNS steps you mentioned later tonight when I'm home.  

The reason I turn wi-fi off is because some devices on our network constantly change MAC address so they don't stay under their parental control categories.  The Wi-fi router thinks a new device connects b/c it has a different MAC address. This means it's not under a parental profile. So Instead of dealing with new MAC address, I just disable the wi-fi over night. Doesn't bother me too much yet!  Thanks again.

Options
2022-10-11 17:05:51

@Shaner41,

Its possible to change your router to whitelist mode for access, this would make it so that you have to specifically provide access to any devices that attempt to connect to the network. This would prevent devices from attaching to the network with random mac addresses and require users to use their real MAC address to be able to connect.

Options
2022-10-12 18:40:36
Thanks, will try this later tonight. Still working on how to get my Wireless Off Time to work consistentlY!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 406

Replies: 4

Tags

Related Articles