Additional Hidden SSID coming from my tp-link (Archer 1800) Router.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-26 03:20:39 - last edited 2022-10-30 01:23:23
Model: Archer AX1800  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version:

When viewing my network with a WiFi analyzer app, I'm seeing an additional network with a hidden SSID. This network follows my usual network whenever I change the channel, and goes away when the router is disabled. To my knowledge this was happening on both my 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz networks, but following a full router reset it is only being seen on the 2.4 GHz channel (I'm doubting my memory now though...). The mystery network seems to be intermittently active (WiFi scanner app updates every 3-5 seconds, this network appears on approximately half the scans) and has a MAC address that is identical to the main network but off by a single digit in the last field. Following the reset, all devices were kicked off the network and my laptop was added back on.

At this point I'm very sure it's coming directly from the router, but can't seem to find details regarding this. Searching online I couldn't found any solution of this issues. This seems to have been discontinued (every link I've seen to details online are dead now or redirect to a general info page. It may have been called "WiFi Connect" or something like that), but I'm wondering if some models of routers still generate a separate network for this purpose.

I definitely want to turn this network off, so if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. Also any info on the Thread/ program would be appreciated. Router model is tp-link - Archer 1800. Thanks!

Edit: To provide more information, I don't have any third party shield or anything like that (or Bluetooth headphones, & I wouldn't suspect that), but regardless all devices except for my MacBook are now off the network following the reset. I have gone through all the router settings and haven't found anything that seems directly related but I could have missed it. I am on an internet only plan, so no set top boxes or any additional hardware (no signal booster either). However, installed next to my router are two boxes one of which appears to be the optical fiber receiver, and the other looks to be powering it. The receiver is connected to the router with an Ethernet cable.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Additional Hidden SSID coming from my tp-link (Archer 1800) Router.-Solution
2022-10-27 23:22:17 - last edited 2022-10-29 02:46:37

@RabbiR10.rr

@IrvSp 

I didn't think you could turn it off either but you actually can, its just a little convoluted on how to get to the setting on some routers and setups. Check out this post from the Global EN forums: Disable Onemesh Hidden network on Onemesh Routers

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-10-28 18:00:21 - last edited 2022-10-29 02:46:27

@IrvSp,

I agree, it would be nice to have something that indicates that this is the setting that accomplishes this. I will try and find a way to add this to our requested features as it would be far far easier to find.

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:Additional Hidden SSID coming from my tp-link (Archer 1800) Router.
2022-10-26 11:28:55 - last edited 2022-10-27 23:19:41

That router it seems is a 'one-mesh' and can use a Range Extender, see https://www.tp-link.com/us/onemesh/, at least that is what I can see on the routers sales page?

That extra SSD, it is the Backhaul one that is used to connect the router and extender.

I don't think it can be turned off? However, 'normal' devices should not be able to see it?

Might want to read this 'story' here, https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/stories/detail/730?replyId=365654

Options
2022-10-27 08:27:11

@IrvSp Thanks for your feedback. for your information this is not 'one-mesh' & initially this issue was not there as I am using this router last 10 month but recently I am facing it, since frequently I am checking my network to avoid overlap issues with my neighbor network & never seen this before. Now this 2nd network of my router with Hidden SSID fully overlapped with my original network & following the same Chanel & bandwidth I am changing so-far. 

Options
2022-10-27 11:51:31

@RabbiR10.rr 

Well, this is 'odd'?

You picked an Archer 1800 as your router? See the router 'sales' info here, https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-ax1800/, scroll down about 80% of the page and you'll see ONE MESH.

Also this was marked as a Recommended Solution by an Admistrator? Therefore I assume they too think that is what you are seeing?

f0fde4372de54d569e6f33152d5aefd3

Is your router actually the Archer 1800?

By the way, there is a new version of Acrylic. Since I have a One Mesh router I wanted to check if I saw the hidden SSID? Acrylic did see one, but it was NOT my Backhaul, which is right I guess and 'normal' devices should be able to connect to it.

This is what Acrylic showed me, and the latest version can show you what that SSID is produced by:

8c7924f184954b9f864bd21fb79160ac

In this case, it is the Roku Stick, why it does that, don't know?

Try getting Acrylic Free and see what it thinks that hidded SSID is?

Options
2022-10-27 23:22:17 - last edited 2022-10-29 02:46:37

@RabbiR10.rr

@IrvSp 

I didn't think you could turn it off either but you actually can, its just a little convoluted on how to get to the setting on some routers and setups. Check out this post from the Global EN forums: Disable Onemesh Hidden network on Onemesh Routers

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-10-28 00:05:04

@Riley_S 

Right, I turned it off so long ago I forgot about it?

On my AX55 there IS in Advanced a ONEMESH selection.

67a81a1f4a054c25b012b3313fad9b71

I wouldn't call that very clear that it disables it though?

I turned it on, and yes, I have 2 Hidden now, the -35 is the router one:

Options
2022-10-28 18:00:21 - last edited 2022-10-29 02:46:27

@IrvSp,

I agree, it would be nice to have something that indicates that this is the setting that accomplishes this. I will try and find a way to add this to our requested features as it would be far far easier to find.

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-10-29 02:53:07

@Riley_S Thanks for your suggestion, I haven't check it yet! will check this & get back with the result.

Riley_S wrote

@RabbiR10.rr

@IrvSp 

Options
2022-10-30 01:08:57

RabbiR10.rr wrote

@- Riley_S Thanks for your suggestion, I haven't check it yet! will check this & get back with the result.

Riley_S wrote

@RabbiR10.rr

@IrvSp 

@Riley_S Really appreciated your suggestion, I just login to my router with admin access & switched off my ONE MESH feature it has been works perfectly & I got rid from this hidden network confusion. Thanks a lot...

Options
2022-10-30 01:21:30

Dear All, Thanks for your suggestion & participation in this concern. I get the solution & going to close this conversation here. If you have same issues with your router you can try this solution & hope that it will be OK or else you can create a new post for further conversation.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 660

Replies: 9