Tried & failed to set up Archer 6 (AC1200) as an AP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-02 21:19:10
Model: Archer A6  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.14 Build 20211118 rel.43110(5553)

I looked at several forums and YouTube channels and can't get my Archer A6 connected as a bridge access point connected to my Xfinity xFi gateway.

My goal is to extend my xFi gateway to the tplink wireless 

I connected the xFi LAN port to the Archer WAN port. < is this correct, others have told be to connect to any one of the 4 LAN ports>

I connected wirelessly to the Archer and changed the password using my laptop.

I logged into TP_Link_385A_5G and can see the internet. My internet gateway is 10.0.0.1. I can browse the internet on my laptop. The tplink shows 1 wireless device (my laptop) and shows the internet is connected to 10.0.0.214.

I set the tplink LAN address to 192.168.0.214

Under IPTV I clicked the enable and set all LANs to the internet.

• Thus far the Operation mode is still set to 'router' and not as an access point

Under network, I have the DHCP check box not enabled.

Under Advanced--> Status under wireless 5G, the WDS status is assoc, not run 

• Do I need to change the operating mode to access point from router?

When I'm done will the tplink wifi SSID still be TP-Link_385A_5G or do I need to change this to the xFi SSID ?

• I next changed the operating mode to access point and now cannot log in via wifi at tplinkwifi.net or the IP address  http://192.168.0.1 

If I connect wirelessly to the xFi SSID it shows an unconnected Archer6 at 10.0.0.214 (static IP) and an Archer 6 at ethernet 10.0.0.212, assigned by DHCP. If I use the browser to connect to 10.0.0.212, I get the tplink web page. It shows no wireless clients and 3 wired clients. The wired clients are (1) my laptop, (2) my xFi gateway 10.0.0.1 and (3) 10.0.0.72 (amazon alexa).

I next logged off the xFi SSID and logged into TP_Link_385A_5G. In this mode, it shows 1 wireless client (my laptop) and 2 wired clients (1) xFi gateway 10.0.0.1, (2) 10.0.0.72 (Alexa). (The 4 LANS are unconnected, only the WAN is connected to my Xfinity xFi)

• The TP-Link browser doesn't show an advanced tab, < is that correct >
  • The LAN shows smartIP(DHCP) connected  < is this correct >
  • The DHCP Server is set to Auto < is this connect >

I'm not sure if this setup is working correctly yet or not. At the Archer would the users be would logging into wifi give access to everything the Xfinity xFi sees?

Thanks,

Brian

Options
2 Reply
Re:Tried & failed to set up Archer 6 (AC1200) as an AP
2022-11-02 22:37:46

@bptsj, If I am understanding this correctly, your setup currently is:

ISP > xFi Gateway (Router/Modem Combo) > Archer Router

This means that you will either need to place the xFi Gateway into bridge mode, turning it into a modem, and then use the Archer Router in Router Mode with all Features.

Otherwise, yes you will have to place your ARcher router into Access Point Mode, as there cannot be two routers on the network at the same time, as this can cause other issues besides IP conflicts, such as double NAT.

When configured as an Access Point, the IP address will be determined by the xFi Router. This is the reason why your DHCP settings may appear funny on the Archer, as the  DHCP server is actually being run and managed by the gateway

When you are configuring your Access Point Settings on your xFi gateway there should be an option that would allow devices connected to APs to either be visible or isolated from the main network.

Essentially, the Archer just becomes a part of the your network powered by the xFi gateway. This is why we recommend configuring your gateway to operate in bridge mode or to disable the wireless functionality, as it is much easier to configure and manage the network from the Archer Interface than most ISP gateway interfaces.

Options
Re:Tried & failed to set up Archer 6 (AC1200) as an AP
2022-11-02 23:10:55

@Riley_S 

Thanks!

Actually... , the total system I am working on setting up is this:

ISP >> xFi ----- [ Ubiquity Nano Station Base ] <--------------- 80 ft open-air radio link -----------------> [ Ubiquity Nano Station Remote ] ------>  Archer 6 access point ---- WiFi

From xFi to Archer 6 is supposed to be a flat network bridge providing wifi to a remote office. Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-LOCOM5-NanoStation-loco/dp/B004EHSV4W

I was having difficulty with the Nano stations, so I temporarily brought the Archer 6 from the remote office into my main home and was configuring it for the access point mode. The way I have it set up now in the home the xFi has a gateway IP of 10.0.0.1. With the Archer set up as I described the Archer wifi is at 10.0.0.212 (DHCP) but once connected I see the entire network and internet on 10.0.0.x from the archer wifi.

In the final setup, I have the Nanostation Remote ethernet plugged into the Archer 6 WAN port. Hoping the wifi will see my home 10.0.0.1 gateway.

My next step is getting the Nanostation Base to work; debugging a problem there. 

Thanks,

Brian

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 436

Replies: 2

Related Articles