Ethernet cable routing question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-11 01:29:43
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.1 Build 20220113 Rel. 42007

Hi All,

I have a Dell laptop that has no Ethernet port.  I bought a thunderbolt 4 Docking station for it.

I just installed the Deco S4 in my basement.   My modem only has one Ethernet port and I need to connect the docking station.  Since the Deco is using the the modems ethernet port can I run another ethernet cable from the Deno to the Docking station?   Excuse my ignorance about networking,  if this won't work can anyone suggest how to configure this?

Thanks.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Ethernet cable routing question
2022-11-11 14:53:11

@DaveinNE 

Yes the other Ethernet port on the Deco S4 will work to get your Dell on the network. 

Options
Re:Ethernet cable routing question
2022-11-11 15:19:26

@DaveinNE By the way, " My modem only has one Ethernet port", is a good thing.

That forces any network connectivity, Ethernet or Wi-Fi, to be in the Deco network.

That avoids the potential for accidental sub-netting devices into the ISP's IP range.

Which would cause network connectivity issues, between your Deco networked devices and any devices connected directly to the Modem, as they would not be in the same IP range.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 295

Replies: 2

Related Articles