Deco wont block youtube

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco wont block youtube

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco wont block youtube
Deco wont block youtube
2022-11-18 17:01:10
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.1

Hi,

I cannot get deco to do the primary function of why I purchased this system - to block specific websites (youtube, twitch, etc etc). I have reviewed forums. I have updated bios. Still doesn't do what its advertised as doing.

Please follow up & help me fix this issue.

Thanks,

John Gardner

Options
9 Reply
Re:Deco wont block youtube
2022-11-18 18:18:31

@Johnasdf,

After you create a parental control profile for the blocked sites, you have to add devices to the profile. If you have done this, and the sites are still available, the phones and devices might be being identified as newly connected devices by the Deco System, this would mean that you have private addressing or randomized MAC address options enabled on your devices. Make sure that these options are disabled on your iOS and Android devices under the wireless network settings. 

Options
2022-11-18 18:21:08
Thanks for the reply! Yep, already have a devices associated to profiles, so will check those suggested adjustments.
Options
2022-11-18 18:27:21
I can also verify that I have randomized hardware addresses turned off for the laptop that doesn't obey Deco rules. So problem persists.
Options
2022-11-18 18:36:43

@Johnasdf,

I was able to find this for examples of how to fill out the Deco's Blocked Sites in case you have something extra preventing the controls from working:" type www.facebook.com, rather than facebook, facebook.com, or https://www.facebook.com"

The documents also say to make sure that you are clearing the site cache, or using an incognito browser when testing, as it may be reloading the pages or UI from the cache rather than trying to download the newest version.

Do the other parental control features work for the device? Such as pausing the internet for the device?

Options
2022-11-18 18:51:27
I have already tried variations of url (www.youtube.com etc etc), and this does not work either, but will have to double check cache/incognito step, as I don't recall if i did this..
Options
2022-11-18 18:56:41
I can verify that with incognito mode on, Deco still does not block youtube (which is listed in Deco as a blocked site in multiple ways).. I can also verify that pausing the internet for the device in question is really the only feature of Deco that seems to work. Problem persists - still can't block youtube.
Options
2022-11-18 20:05:14

@Johnasdf

Try following Step 3 as this would ensure that the domain being received is the same as the filter that you have set in the settings, if the domain already matches, read through the rest of our FAQ here: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2645/ 

Q3. Deco cannot block websites.

A: Please refer to the following steps to troubleshoot.

1) Please ensure Malicious Content Filter on the Real-Time Protection>Antivirus page is enabled.

2) Ensure you have entered the full domain name of the websites rather than the keywords in the Parental Control profile>Blocked Websites page. For example, if you want to block the official website of FaceBook, you need to type in www.facebook.com rather than facebook or facebook.com.

3) When you access the blocked website, it may be redirected to some other websites that have a relationship with the blocked website (such as the subdomain of the blocked website), causing the filtering rule won’t take effect. In this case, it’s suggested to go to the History page, find out the domain name that should be blocked, then add it to the Blocked Websites page.

Options
2022-11-18 20:40:49
re step 3, I don't have a VPN, so there is nothing to configure. Problem still persists, can't block Youtube.
Options
2022-11-18 20:43:09
re this step... Please ensure Malicious Content Filter on the Real-Time Protection>Antivirus page is enabled. I see nothing like this in the Deco app. Where is this located?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1331

Replies: 9