Deco M5 is not enough for 40 clients after you get over that number your devices start to drop

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5 is not enough for 40 clients after you get over that number your devices start to drop

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-29 02:38:30 - last edited 2022-12-02 14:17:41
Tags: #Clients dropping
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version: 1.6.1 Build 20220818 Rel. 36456

Why Deco M5 system is sold with the marketing that support around 100 clients connected, but I have passed 2 months monitoring that when Deco system reach 45 clients start to drop some clients, specially I have detected that occurs with more frequency with Sonoff switches.

I have tried to keep under 40 devices and there is not any problem, but inmediatelly when connect again rest of devices and reach 45 clientes, Deco system start to drop some devices ramdonly, never same device.

I have tried to reboot Deco M5 system and disable the MESH technology on those devices without sucess.

there is some improvement that I can do it?

Could I buy some other model of Deco and improve the quantity of clients connect at same time?

Thanks in advance

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco M5 is not enough for 40 clients after you get over that number your devices start to drop -Solution
2022-11-30 23:49:56 - last edited 2022-12-02 14:17:41

@Cuacco,

I responded to your other comment on another thread about the deco upgrade and how it can help improve your network a second ago I am now realizing.

Is it possible that the behavior you are seeing could be a result from just the router managing the IP and connection of the device?

If devices are not behaving as expected, try setting those devices to use a static IP address, it could be as simple as the Deco refreshing the DHCP lease for devices during this period. I would be intrigued to know if at least setting an IP reservation would prevent at least that device from dropping its connection.

Do the devices that drop their connection happen to be limited to smart devices, or do phones/pcs disconnect also? You may try setting up the guest network and connecting some of your IoT networks to that designated SSID, as this may help your nodes manage the connections better, and the guest network is usually only the 2.4 frequency

Otherwise, there are two settings that I would definitely recommend toggling to see if they are the cause. I don't think they are all available for the M5 though:

Beamforming - Some older wi-fi devices, even Google Minis, can experience periodic disconnects when this feature is enabled

Fast Roaming - This places the responsibility of choosing the correct frequency on the router rather than the devices, if the devices only accept the 2.4 Ghz frequency, they may be being 'told' to try and connect to the 5Ghz band.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M5 is not enough for 40 clients after you get over that number your devices start to drop
2022-11-30 22:31:46

@Cuacco,

A few questions about your setup first:

How many deco nodes are you using? If only two, the satellite node is operating as an AP and clients may not be relayed to the main node the same as they would in a mesh configuration, but they would still be connected.

Are the devices actually having their connection dropped, as in they won't function from the sonoff platform? I just want to make sure that the devices are disconnecting from the network, not just disappearing from the interface. Do you have to go through the setup process for the device to show on the network again, or do they reappear in the app after a short period?

Otherwise, what does the rest of your network setup look like? Especially when it comes to backhauls and modems and your ISP?

The Deco M5 is a AC Router, so you could definitely upgrade to a new deco node, as the improvements that have come since Wi-Fi 5 have been mainly focused on allowing more devices to connect and communicate more efficiently.

Options
Re:Deco M5 is not enough for 40 clients after you get over that number your devices start to drop
2022-11-30 23:08:20

@Riley_S 

first...thanks for take time for help me

answering your questions

How many deco nodes are you using? If only two, the satellite node is operating as an AP and clients may not be relayed to the main node the same as they would in a mesh configuration, but they would still be connected.

I have three M5 working in my MESH one put in middle of house y other two in the house end and begins of my home

Are the devices actually having their connection dropped, as in they won't function from the sonoff platform? I just want to make sure that the devices are disconnecting from the network, not just disappearing from the interface. Do you have to go through the setup process for the device to show on the network again, or do they reappear in the app after a short period?

devices disconnect ramdonly, I can see how they lost the connection and reconnect afer some seconds, I have chnage for new sonoff and tested with some that never had failed and the behaivour is the same... when I reduce the devices under 40, those devices that failed before, not fails again, these fail when I connect over 40 devices.

Otherwise, what does the rest of your network setup look like? Especially when it comes to backhauls and modems and your ISP?

fine, rest of devices work fine. 

The Deco M5 is a AC Router, so you could definitely upgrade to a new deco node, as the improvements that have come since Wi-Fi 5 have been mainly focused on allowing more devices to connect and communicate more efficiently.

when you say to upgrade to a new decone node is buy another model as X60, X90 or XE200 and put it as main Deco?

Thanks in advance

Options
Re:Deco M5 is not enough for 40 clients after you get over that number your devices start to drop -Solution
2022-11-30 23:49:56 - last edited 2022-12-02 14:17:41

@Cuacco,

I responded to your other comment on another thread about the deco upgrade and how it can help improve your network a second ago I am now realizing.

Is it possible that the behavior you are seeing could be a result from just the router managing the IP and connection of the device?

If devices are not behaving as expected, try setting those devices to use a static IP address, it could be as simple as the Deco refreshing the DHCP lease for devices during this period. I would be intrigued to know if at least setting an IP reservation would prevent at least that device from dropping its connection.

Do the devices that drop their connection happen to be limited to smart devices, or do phones/pcs disconnect also? You may try setting up the guest network and connecting some of your IoT networks to that designated SSID, as this may help your nodes manage the connections better, and the guest network is usually only the 2.4 frequency

Otherwise, there are two settings that I would definitely recommend toggling to see if they are the cause. I don't think they are all available for the M5 though:

Beamforming - Some older wi-fi devices, even Google Minis, can experience periodic disconnects when this feature is enabled

Fast Roaming - This places the responsibility of choosing the correct frequency on the router rather than the devices, if the devices only accept the 2.4 Ghz frequency, they may be being 'told' to try and connect to the 5Ghz band.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 443

Replies: 3

Tags

Clients dropping