Running into some trouble adding AX1800 to home network which has AT&T BGW320-505

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Running into some trouble adding AX1800 to home network which has AT&T BGW320-505

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-09 06:38:00
Model: Archer AX21  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.1.3 Build 20221125 rel.83530(5553)

Hello!  

Normally, I use a ATT BGW-320 as my home wifi modem/router.  However, our modem is on one end of the house and most of the household is on the opposite end of the house so we've been having some trouble with a stable wireless signal.  We decided to buy a TP-link Archer AX21 router which is physically connected to the ATT gateway via a long RJ-45 cable.  We're able to connect to the router via Wi-Fi and access the internet.  However, our network resources don't seem to show up.  I couldn't access things like my shared NAS or media servers.  I did notice my devices that connected to the TP-Link router seemed to have IP addresses in 192.168.0.* subnet which is not what the ATT gateway offers so I checked my network topology. 

I noticed the network topology of my devices:

Device Default Device IP DHCP Server    
ATT BGW-320 192.168.1.254 192.168.1.64  - 192.168.1.253    
TP-Link Archer AX21 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.253    

I also remember during quick setup, I saw the following message. 

My ATT BGW-320 is definitely a modem/router.  I clicked that option and was presented with the following:

The first option is not feasible for me as the ATT modem is connected to a lot of our network resources such as NAS, Raspberry Pis that are in the distant area of the house.  The second option doesn't seem feasible either because AT&T states they do not offer bridge mode on their modem/routers and disabling the wireless network of the modem/router is inconvenient as we would like Wi-Fi to be strong in that area of the house.  

How can I make my TP-Link Archer AX21 be connected to the ATT BGW-320 without creating its own private network?  I simply want to extend the network from the BGW-320.  I tried turning off the DHCP server on the AX21 but that prevented me from getting an IP Address from the router.  Any ideas how to proceed?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Running into some trouble adding AX1800 to home network which has AT&T BGW320-505
2023-01-10 00:26:00

@Wanners,

With the way networks work, your network can only be managed by one "router," as the router is the device keeping track of the addresses and information regarding the connected devices. The router is essentially operating as a YellowPages for all the devices on your network, when a second router is introduced, it would be like a new YellowPage Competitor coming out that lists completely different addresses and phone numbers for every listing. It is important to only have one directory on your network of all the devices that are connected.

You can get around setting passthrough mode on the modem/router combo by setting the Archer Router up as an Access Point, essentially just turning the device into a signal repeater for your use case. This passes the routing functionality to the Modem/Router Combo and will disable any Parental Controls or Network Statistics, as this is managed by the router of the network.

It does appear that the BGW-320 does include a passthrough mode for your connection according to ATT documentation, however, this would still disable the wireless functionality on the combo unit. This would allow you to set the device up as a router and regain access to the Archer's full feature set. As a warning, there may be issues with dropped connections or stability when there are two routers operating on your network at the same time. 

Options
Re:Running into some trouble adding AX1800 to home network which has AT&T BGW320-505
2023-01-10 05:30:23

@Riley_S Thanks for the assist!  I was running the AX1800 in "Router Mode" when I should have been running the device in "AP Mode" to get the functionality I actually wanted

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 760

Replies: 2