X60 speed drops from expected ~400Mbps to ~85Mbps a short time after reboot

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-15 00:13:08 - last edited 2023-01-16 18:49:56
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.1 Build 20210204 Rel. 50164

I have a problem similar but not the same as this one:

Slow speed on DECO X60 - Home Network Community (tp-link.com)

I have an Xfinity 400Mbps download / 10Mbps upload plan.

The primary X60 is connected to an Arris SB8200 modem.

Connected with an Ethernet cable to the modem from a laptop (via a USB adapter) I get around 450Mbps download, 11Mbps upload.

Connected to Wifi from my phone or laptop I get around 85Mbps download, 5Mbps upload.

I, too, like the thread I linked, was able to observe for a short time, after the X60 main unit was rebooted, the expected speeds, and like that thread describes, the speeds dropped to under 90Mbps download.

I tested over wifi and over an Ethernet cable to the main X60 unit (same USB-->Ethernet setup I used to connect to the modem), and I got <90Mbps download and <6Mbps upload.

The difference from the thread I linked above is that the speed I see in the app on the phone, i.e. the internet speed as main X60 sees it, which is as expected, >400Mbps download and >10Mbps upload, so unlike the thread I linked, it cannot be the negotiated port speed, otherwise I wouldn't see anything above 100Mbps in the Deco app.

My network configuration: A main and guest network, both have 2.4GHz and 5GHz enabled.

About 35 devices connected to the main network (spread between the 3 mesh units), almost all are smart light bulbs, so not using a lot of bandwidth. I tried running the speed test over both networks as well as Ethernet connected to the main X60 unit.

What should I test or do next to resolve this?

Thanks for any attempt to help!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Important - if you update your internet plan, update QoS settings accordingly-Solution
2023-01-16 18:49:38 - last edited 2023-01-16 18:49:56

Solved, and I am ashamed to say it was all my fault, with a pinch of UI from the Deco app that could have alerted me about the issue.

When I set up my X60 I must have followed the instructions and set the QoS setings speeds to match my plan, 90Mbps download and 5Mbps download.

When I updated the plan, I didn't update these settings.

Suggestion to TP-Link: If the user does an internet speed test and the speeds are far from what's in the QoS speed limit settings, alert the user. Ask something like "It seems your internet plan is much faster than the QoS settings. Do you want to update?". After all, that setting page states very clearly to use the numbers from the ISP, and they were 90/5 instead of 400/10.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Important - if you update your internet plan, update QoS settings accordingly-Solution
2023-01-16 18:49:38 - last edited 2023-01-16 18:49:56

Solved, and I am ashamed to say it was all my fault, with a pinch of UI from the Deco app that could have alerted me about the issue.

When I set up my X60 I must have followed the instructions and set the QoS setings speeds to match my plan, 90Mbps download and 5Mbps download.

When I updated the plan, I didn't update these settings.

Suggestion to TP-Link: If the user does an internet speed test and the speeds are far from what's in the QoS speed limit settings, alert the user. Ask something like "It seems your internet plan is much faster than the QoS settings. Do you want to update?". After all, that setting page states very clearly to use the numbers from the ISP, and they were 90/5 instead of 400/10.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:X60 speed drops from expected ~400Mbps to ~85Mbps a short time after reboot
2023-01-16 18:50:47 - last edited 2023-01-16 18:53:06

@Amnon,

Glad to hear that you were able to get it resolved. I believe that the QoS setting is default enabled for Decos, however this would be extremely useful as it would help a lot of users.

Out of curiosity, did you change the QoS settings prior to the reboot or what may have caused the settings to take effect?

To clarify: the slowdown occurs after the router is rebooted, and occurs through both wireless and wired connections? Does the speed increase over time, or return to normal after a period of time?

I would potentially look at the QoS settings on your device to determine if this is the feature that could be "limiting" the speed of a connected device.

I would also potentially change the DNS server settings on the Deco, as a common service may be able to provide a more stable connection than your current DNS server.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 318

Replies: 2