Can it actually bring laptop 5ghz when laptops internal wifi is only 2.4ghz???

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-16 00:01:36 - last edited 2023-01-16 02:31:18
Model: Archer T2U Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hey all, can this adapter bring my laptop 5ghz when it's supposed to only receive 2.4ghz signals???

Also - the adapter wasn't really acting like an extender, as the signal was low with the modem located in another room, but it did seem to bring both signals to it, though they both kept dropping off.

I have an extender coming in a few days, so maybe that will help to boos the dual signals. Am I missing something? Thanks so much!

Options
7 Reply
Re:Can it actually bring laptop 5ghz when laptops internal wifi is only 2.4ghz???
2023-01-16 19:48:31

@ozzer,

You should have no problem doing this, as the adapter is what will be bringing the support to the laptop, one thing you may do to troubleshoot the disconnects is to make sure that you disable the internal networking card on your laptop. The device is not technically an extender, as it does not rebroadcast your wireless network for other wireless devices to use, that's the purpose of an RE, Powerline Setup, or Access Points.

If your laptop is further away from your main router, you definitely made the right choice in getting a device to extend the reach of your network, as your network stability will only improve. If the device is still disconnecting from your laptop, there are a few settings that can be adjusted on your router to create a more stable connection, such as an IP reservation, or the settings related to roaming.

Also, first try to uninstall the generic network drivers that are installed by Windows for the device, and install the official drivers for the device from the TP-Link Support Site.

Options
Re:Can it actually bring laptop 5ghz when laptops internal wifi is only 2.4ghz???
2023-01-16 21:51:17

@ozzer Hi Riley - THANKS for responding to my question.  To disable my laptop's internal network card, what particular file would I look for in Device Manager.....maybe the BCM 43132 Network Adapter? And, when disabled, the lappy would still be able to process what is coming from the new adapter?

Thanks so much!

Options
2023-01-16 22:51:08

@ozzer,

From your control panel, or the network settings option, you should be able to find a "Change Network Adapter Settings"; you will be able to see all the network cards that are attached such as an Ethernet Port, or a Bluetooth Adapter. I would recommend disabling the wireless adapter, as you will be now providing another

Options
2023-01-17 02:33:14

@Riley_S Thanks again, Riley. I'll get onto it when the extender arrives on Wednesday :)!

Options
2023-05-12 16:00:59

@ozzer 

Regarding the extender you have coming in a few days, it can help improve the coverage and signal strength of both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz signals. An extender is designed to repeat and extend the range of your existing Wi-Fi network, so it should enhance the signals in areas with weak coverage. However, it's important to note that the extender's effectiveness can depend on various factors, such as the distance between the extender and the router, any obstructions, and the specific model and features of the extender.
Regards: Eatsleepsniff 

Options
2023-05-30 14:54:50

@ozzer 

It's important to note that the capability to connect to a 5GHz network depends on both the adapter and the laptop. If your laptop is designed to support only 2.4GHz networks, using an adapter alone will not enable it to connect to a 5GHz network. The adapter acts as a bridge between your laptop and the available networks. If your laptop's wireless card only supports 2.4GHz, the adapter will still only be able to connect to 2.4GHz networks. 
Regards: roofersofarlington

Options
2023-07-14 13:13:06

@Riley_S 

Thanks, my issue has been fixed.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 464

Replies: 7

Related Articles