Share backhaul with othwr devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-17 01:53:30 - last edited 2023-01-17 01:54:45

I have setup ethernet backhaul and my main deco is in my office with a wired printer and NAS. 

With the backhaul setup the 2 ports are used on the main deco:

1 port to modem

1 port to unmanaged switch

The unmanaged switch connects to the satellite m5 decos ethernet port. 

Is it OK to plug in the other devices (printer and NAS) into the unmanaged switch that the decos use for backhaul?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Share backhaul with othwr devices
2023-01-17 17:20:51

@Hogie76,

That should be no problem at all. When the decos are operating in a mesh configuration, they connect to the network as clients. It is actually recommended that you place a NAS here as this would provide the quickest access for all the nodes on the network and will take up the least bandwidth when it comes to connecting to the NAS from another device on the network.

Options
2023-01-18 00:14:14

@Riley_S 

Thanks for the quick response! Just to confirm, my main deco is routing (first time I set that up). Even with that config other non deco devices are ok to connect to the backhaul?

Options
2023-01-18 01:24:07

@Hogie76,

Correct,

If you think of it like an umbrella, all your devices have to fall Under the umbrella of the primary deco unit. Meaning anything that is connected to the LAN port on the Deco will be treated as a part of the network and assigned network addresses. All router management features are handled by the main unit, this is why satellite decos can be relocated with minimal interruption.

I recommend this setup for people with media servers as it shortens the distance and hops that data needs to travel to reach the end device, otherwise, the data would have to go upstream to the switch, and then back down to the correct deco supporting the connection.

Options
2023-01-18 01:28:52

@Riley_S 

Great! Thank you again!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 289

Replies: 4