M4 Slow speeds want to convert to Range Extenders as originally advertised.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-17 02:35:11
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I bought these with the consideration of using them as range extenders if things didn't work out. Not seeing this option. I used to use it as my main set till I upgraded my internet to 1 Gig internet speeds and it could not keep up. So now I bought a NightHawk and my speeds are amazing and I need these used as range extenders out to the garage. 

Options
15 Reply
Re:M4 Slow speeds want to convert to Range Extenders as originally advertised.
2023-01-17 18:00:03

@InfiniteRiddle 

Deco cannot be used as Range Extenders, nor is it advertised as such.  Deco is a Whole-Home WiFi Mesh system.  It takes multiple units with the same configuration and links them either through a wireless or Ethernet backhaul to create a single unified network.  From there strategic placement of the units can provide you with a full home coverage for your WiFi.

The Deco M4 does have 1 Gbps ports so it should have no issue working with the service.  If you would like we can help troubleshoot and get them working as designed or at least give an explanation for the issues you may be experiencing. 

Options
2023-01-17 22:05:34

@Carl No need to be untruthful, there is a whole other thread on this with proof provided. My $500 Nighthawk out performs the m4 by a whole 500 Megabytes per second oddly enough. The most I get from TP Link is 300 something. I should have to be on here trying to figure out something, you shouldn't send out updates unless they are 100% vetted, same with hardware, same argument I had with Netgear over theire stupid firmware issue they had to correct. Why should I or any customer have to spend time with your company trying to figure out your companies screw ups for free while you are getting paid by the hour to sit and listen to customers vent about a <r@ppy (common your trying to censor me from describing your) product? Explain how its fair that I have to spend more than 5 minutes on here completely uncompensated while your company made a profit from my pocket I earned by working at a job earning that money?

Options
2023-01-17 22:10:11

@InfiniteRiddle Good evening, I just bought the 3 mesh wifi M4 from micro center yesterday, There's an option on the deco app to run the system as extenders, Open the Deco app, Then tap at advanced, Then top choice tap on operation mode.

Now choosing this option there's 2 modes, 1st as a wifi router (default) meaning you connect the main one straight to the modem to make your internet wireless, Then the 2nd mode is access point, Which you connect it to an existing router and scramble the 3 mesh wifi devices around the house to extend the rage and share the internet at high speed.

I hope this helps.

Options
2023-01-18 00:50:16

@MikePCTECH 

Mike AP mode and Range Extender or RE mode are two completely different things.  Range Extenders do just what the name says, they extends the range of the existing wireless network. APs or Access Points are something different.  When you run a product in AP mode you are disabling all advanced and router-specific features and only makes use of the Wireless feature in the product.  This still requires one unit to be physically connected to the router or gateway that exists on the network.  It creates a separate WiFi network.  Since it does not extend or link into the existing network it is not a Range Extender or Range Extender mode.   

I just want to make sure that is clear for anyone who might come to this thread and assume the product can do the things of a Range Extender because it cannot. 

Options
2023-01-18 00:55:42

@Carl Yes I'm fully aware of it, I was going to put an example for what mesh does, Mesh is like a spider web that gives less wifi dead zones through out the house. I apologize I was busy and I forgot to continue.

Just trying to draw an image to the people that are not technical and would wants more describing.

I hope this makes sense.

Options
2023-01-18 00:59:00

@InfiniteRiddle 

Nothing I said in my first response was untruthful.  Deco products cannot be used as Range Extenders.  They are a whole home Wi-Fi system and they all have the same configuration. This is how any of the units can be designated as the main unit and then connected to the modem and the network without reconfiguration will still work. Deco units can be connected to each other through wireless or Ethernet backhaul,  All of that is true.

Also, the Deco M4 does have gigabit Ethernet ports so it will work with a 1 Gbps service provider.  Your getting only 300 Mbps requires troubleshooting to determine if there is something wrong with the product, a compatibility issue, a limitation on a client device or just something you set up wrong.  This is the reason why companies like TP-Link have a support team.  So we can be available to assist customers when they encounter concerns with products.  

I understand your frustration but comparing a $149 dollar product to a $500 dollar product is really like comparing apples to oranges.  Of course, the $500 dollar product will be more feature right and likely perform better.  

Again, if you would like to troubleshoot your concerns related to speed and performance we would be more than happy to assist. 

Options
2023-01-18 01:04:28

@MikePCTECH 

I absolutely get that.  I just wanted to draw a distinction between REs and APs and that one unit always has to be connected to the source, so that the non-technical customers are not confused   Your description of how Mesh blankets a home with WiFi was a good description. 

Options
2023-01-18 01:13:21 - last edited 2023-01-18 01:15:14

@Carl Thank you for pointing it out, And i apologize if i caused any confusion to anyone. I am having super slow performance with my Deco M4 that i just purchased yesterday, My internet from Verizon fios is 1000 MBPS up and down, But wifi is super slow, even though the router is right behind my back. So basically i'm getting 10th of the speed of my 1GBPS

d4fae6d7a6184c139074a8bb0746e480

Verizon fios internet speed test is not working well today, So i took screen shot of the download speed, if i continue to upload speed it will crash (on their website). Anyways here's the picture:

9e3f874a3b2c41149553783c8d2b20fc

Options
2023-01-18 01:53:55

@MikePCTECH 

With Verizon, your "modem" comes in two flavors.  1. If you just have internet service it's likely an ONT that the fiber comes into and then an Ethernet out to plug the router into.  And a gateway if you have FIOS TV service too.  

If you have the gateway a potential cause of the speed performance could be double NAT if you are using the Deco in router mode.  Unfortunately, the only solution for this is to put the Deco in AP mode which eliminates the double NAT and usually clears up the speed concern.  

Now it is worth noting that some of our WiFi 6 and 6E Decos recently had a concern with Verizon resolved in firmware.  The Deco M4 was not listed but I will be checking with the software team to see if that could be the cause of your concern as well. 

Options
2023-01-18 02:04:39

@MikePCTECH I ended up putting them in AP mode but could not find the extender mode. You can find the thread, there is another guy complaining and provided screen shots.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 708

Replies: 15