Archer AXE300 (AXE16000) - Very poor wireless performance.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-18 21:12:11 - last edited 2023-04-28 16:50:26
Model: Archer AXE300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20220907 rel.6955(5553)

I have an Archer AXE300 but I am getting extremely poor wireless throughput on the 5Ghz network.

The device is in AP mode and when I was testing, there were no other clients on it. My Internet is a full gig (synchronous) and the switch port for the wireless is 1000/full and there are no errors.

Here is the speed test results:

3307e9466eae4b609d308b60d9af61ea

My brother brought over his Asus Rapture to test, and using his, I get very good speeds. To test, I disconnected mine, and connected his to the exact same switch port. Here are the results:

5dee980b09ff42559032fbe13c72d8a9

Here's a screenshot of the Archer WiFi settings, but I have tried various combinations of channel width and channel number but can't seem to get any faster throughput.

1b0a58b8a3ef4c75a8cf692050469a96

Any advice?

Thanks!

Options
6 Reply
Re:Archer AXE300 (AXE16000) - Very poor wireless performace.
2023-01-18 22:27:05

@BrianTX,

The AXE300 is capable of achieving much higher speeds than what you showed. One thing I would make sure of is that you were connected to the 5Ghz network, if not you could try disabling the 2.4Ghz network.

So for some First Steps:

Try altering the QoS settings for your router; if the automatically obtained values are incorrect, this could dramatically affect the speed.

I would potentially look at changing the default DNS server of the router to a common service, such as Google or Cloudflare. Depending on your location, you may see an increase in the overall speed, but it should never be as dramatic as this. Never Hurts.

Try performing a speed test while over a wired connection to the router, just to make sure that the router is reading the WAN connection as 1000Full.

Also, make a point of looking at the link rate or speed that is listed in either the network settings or the properties for the network adapter; this is the maximum speed that your device would be able to communicate with the router based on its hardware properties. 

Lastly, the AXE300 has I believe 3 Different WAN options when it comes to ethernet ports; I would recommend not using the port tied to the SFP module and seeing if the speed remains the same.

Options
2023-01-19 06:36:21

@Riley_S 

Hi Riley, thank you for the reply!

"One thing I would make sure of is that you were connected to the 5Ghz network, if not you could try disabling the 2.4Ghz network."

Definitely on the 5 GHz, each network has a different SSID and I did make sure I was on the correct one.

"Try altering the QoS settings for your router; if the automatically obtained values are incorrect, this could dramatically affect the speed."

The router is actually in AP mode, so all routing and layer 3 functions are disabled. However, I do have QoS on my upstream router and firewall, but they are tuned for specific kinds of traffic and are not affecting this traffic.

"Try performing a speed test while over a wired connection to the router, just to make sure that the router is reading the WAN connection as 1000Full."

Since the router is in AP mode, I am only using a single port (the shared SFP/RJ45) and I have verified that the switch port the router is plugged into (my switch) is correctly set at 1000/Full. There are no errors or dropped packets on the port either.

"Lastly, the AXE300 has I believe 3 Different WAN options when it comes to ethernet ports; I would recommend not using the port tied to the SFP module and seeing if the speed remains the same."

The SFP port is what I was using (based on the quick start guide recommendation), but I tested it by using LAN port 1 to connect to my network and it had the same slow results.

Options
2023-01-19 20:40:39

I've done some additional testing to try and get more in-depth results.

• I've disabled all networks except 5GHz-1.
  • I set the channel to 48 (nobody else is on that channel).
  • I'm using 2 different machines to test. One with a channel-width of 80MHz and the other that supports 160MHz.
  • Both machines are sitting 1M and 2M away from the router.
  • I've switched the port on the router from the shared SFP to the 2.5Gbps port.

For the first test, I plugged directly into the LAN1 port on the router and ran a speed test while directly connected. It was nearly a full gigabit, so at least I know the hardware is working.

fe67ac58e4904832ab8386b4517561fe

For the wireless side, I performed 10 additional speed tests trying varying distances (never more than 5M away) and varying channel settings but they were all below 500Mbps. One of my machines supports WiFi 6 (not 6E) and that one averaged the best with nearly 500Mbps on the upload.

edc90e86898c4efeb1f27dbbf508e7ef

I know that 5GHz has a speed limitation around the 1.3Gbps range (perfect world), and that the realistic speeds are going to be lower. With that in mind, I'm not expecting to utilize a full gig off this frequency, but I was able to get more than 800Mbps on the 5Ghz using an AP from a different vendor.

I don't have any 6E clients yet, so I can't test the 6GHz, but will hopefully have one soon.

Options
2023-01-19 22:22:41

@BrianTX,

Sorry, missed the fact that you had mentioned it was in AP mode.

A few things,

Have you checked the link speed for the network adpaters on the device these tests are being run? The realistic speed is usually calculated using the link speed of the client, rather than what the router is able to send over a connection. If the devices have gigabit adapters and the link speeds show as 1000, you are well within the expected range even though it can go higher. The rule of thumb is that you are only going to be able to receive 30-60% of the client's link speed. This is why the quality of mesh connections can increase so much when the nodes are wired together, rather than wirelessly connected.

If you have the previous AP that you had used, you may check the settings that were used for the wireless network to see if these happened to be the golden settings for your connections.

For devices that have previously experienced slowed connections, it has been recommended to try and set the 80MHz width and to channel 36 to see if the speeds are increased.

Unless it is needed, you may want to try turning down the transmit power to see if it has an affect on the signal speed.

Lastly, make sure that you are using the most up to date network drivers on the devices that you are testing; it is possible the AXE300 has additional requirements for high speed connections than the previous AP did.

Options
2023-01-29 02:18:24

@Riley_S Well obviously if he was able to get over 800 megs with the Asus router, his link speed for the network adapter is not the issue and is fully capable of receiving higher speeds.

Options
2023-01-30 22:10:42

@tc0566,

While the adapter is definitely capable, that does not mean that the link speed between the adapter and a network will always be the same. It's even possible that an older Ethernet Wire could have a fault that causes only some routers or clients to establish the correct negotiated speed.

While it's different because it involves hardware, think about the link speed that is established during port auto-negotiation. If one of the devices is perceived as not being compatible, the link rate could immediately be cut in half if the router chooses half-duplex rather than full-duplex. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1033

Replies: 6

Related Articles