Cannot figure out switching from Netgear to Archer A7

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-24 00:04:42
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I'm feeling like and idiot. I currently have a Netgear 64. I just thought it was a router but all my instructions are saying modem, which I didn't think I had. I have dsl, just plugs directly into phone line and into Netgear DSL port and poof it works but nothing is the same on the Archer. I don't know where to plug anything into, there's no DSL port. Can I even use the new Archer? Help please.

Eko

Options
4 Reply
Re:Cannot figure out switching from Netgear to Archer A7
2023-01-24 18:50:09

@Eko23 

Yes its still possible to use the Archer A7 with DSL service, but you will need a DSL modem that can be connected to the service and then to the router's WAN port.  Additionally, you will need to know if the modem is in passthrough mode or not.  If its in Passthrough then you would configure the PPPoE credentials on the router, if it's not then they would be on the modem. 

Options
2023-01-25 12:07:50

@Carl Thank you and I hope you won't mind another question. I got the A7 because my Netgear 64 just wasnn't able to get a reliable signal, it would often loose connection or just be so slow. I'm wondering since it is a modem can I use the A7 as a booster or Access Point, are those the same thing??

If I can, based on my initial post can you tell me what I still need to buy or do? Or if you know a good resource to learn. I so appreciate your response to my post, I was beyond frustrated.

Eko

Options
2023-01-25 16:50:24

@Eko23 

The Archer A7 can be used as a stickily Access Point, simply by switching to AP mode.  If you do this then you would want to disable the wireless on the Netgear and use just the Archer A7 for your wireless clients.  

1. Log into the Archer A7
  2. Click on Advanced
  3. Click on Operation mode (on left side menu)
  4. Choose Access Point and Save
  5. Connect the Netgear Gateway to the WAN port of the Archer A7

This of course assumes you have already configured the wireless networks for the Archer A7 to your customer settings (you can use the default settings if you want.  Those credentials are on the bottom of the router) and you have disabled the wireless network on the Netgear device.  

If you want to get rid of the Netgear all together then just look of a ADSL modem, your ISP will likely have a list you can look for, just make sure it does not say Modem/Router or Gateway, you want just a modem.

Options
2023-01-28 01:32:02

@Eko23 Here I am again. You said log into A7, all I have is Tether,  instructions I got with A7 told me download and log into. If you are talking about Tether, when I look at availa

ble networks there are 2 that are the same, TP-Link _3A19 are the same two, and then I have TP-Link 3A19_5G, I don't know which one to use for internet. And on the A7, which port would the direct line for internet into?? It's from a phone jack, I have no landline it's just DSL(?) I'm such an technophobe on this topic, I love messing around with it but I feel like that's all I'm doing cuz I just don't get the different ports. Especially on the A7, I already know what's working on my Netgear for internet but to just make it modem I have to figure out the internet part on the A7.

Options