Firmware not autoupdating?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-24 14:07:57
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.4 build 20210719

Hello, i was posting a question on the forum the other day and noticed that there were newer firmware available for my router that hadn't been auto-updated. I know you can load them manually, and I did try unlinking my TP Link cloud account and relinking but that still didn't do it automatically. Any thoughts on other things to try to ensure the router is autoupdating firmware, or at least when you login to the router and click check for firmware updates it doesn't just say your running the latest version? I saw beta firmware was out for this router that would include additional VPN options, so i want to ensure my router gets that when its out of beta.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Firmware not autoupdating?
2023-01-24 18:43:53

@x00 

You have the first step of the OTA auto-update and that is to like your router to a TP-Link ID.   After you do that follow these steps

45eeec0e7e094c91a534c155ea86cee5

Though to be honest if you are on a Beta Firmware I want to say that is the cause of the concerns.  I believe Beta FW disable the auto-update, as they could be based on a lower build number.  

Options
2023-01-25 14:25:22

@Carl My appologies, i probably was not being clear.

First, I'm not on beta firmware currently. I saw that beta firmware was released, and while I don't have any plan on installing beta firmware, I would like to get notification or have the router auto update to the newest firmware when that beta firmware moves into alpha release.

Second, I am on firmware version 1.2.4 20210719. When I review available firmware downloads for my router on TP-Links page (AX6000 Firmware) I see that there is a newer version of the firmware available (version 20211208). Howver, when I go to click on check for new firmware in my Routers admin page, it tells me im using the newest firmware.

6641a2f2e55c4c8b8ad8bdd88166fc09

I wasn't sure why it wasn't updating to the 20211208 version. I tried unlinking my account and relinking, but it didn't seem to help and I wasn't sure if, other than just downloading and updating the firmware myself manually, there was something else to try. I wasn't sure if there was some small difference with my router version that the updated firmware didn't apply to or what. But when they do release the alpha version of the beta firmware (Archer AX6000_V1.0_1.3.0 early release firmware (Updated on Dec 21, 2022)) I'd like to ensure im able to apply it since it has updates to the VPN section.

Options
2023-01-25 17:02:04

@x00 

Okay, that is making more sense.  I also missed that your version was V1.  The Auto-update feature was not introduced on the V1 of this router, so the only options are Online or Manual.  Unfortunately, it will require periodic checking for new firmware.  The simplest reason for the 211208 firmware not being found when you do the online check is that someone forgot to add it to the online depository, ill check on that.  I can say in the US new firmware are generally added to the US's official website every Friday.  Online is usually as well but my team doesn't control the online side.  I would use the website as your source and then check for online to see if it is added.  Also, keep in mind once a product is End of Life or a new hardware version is released, Firmware development typically ends.  This is because TP-Link generally only releases Firmware for 4 reasons.  A feature is being added, A Feature is being removed, A bug is being addressed or a security concern is being addressed.  When a Version or product is EOL the first two will not normally happen, but if a bug or security concern is found a firmware will be released to address them.  

I mention this since the Archer AX6000 V2 is out, development on your V1 will not likely happen unless there is a bug or security concern. 

Options
2023-01-30 20:48:31

@Carl Thanks Carl. I thought i saw that there was a beta of firmware for the V1, and that is what initially got me checking the website vs my router. Thanks for the explination. I may have also just mis-saw that it was for V1 and not V2. I didn't even know there was V1/V2 until i started reading and looking at the download section of the website. Will have to make sure i look closer at Best Buy or New Egg when ordering again. thanks again.

Options
2023-01-31 17:10:17

@x00 

Yeah it can get confusing.  Our retailers maintain their own inventory so if you can't physically hold the product in your hand and check the version on the box I would recommend contacting the retailer's support and seeing if they can confirm which model they have in inventory.  

Options