SOLVED: Deco X20 is unstable with Ethernet backhaul

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-10 16:19:58
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.0

I have the following configuration:

Ethernet

- Router 

- Main Deco 

- SG105

- Main Deco 

- Satellite Deco 1

- Desktop

WiFi 

- Satellite Deco 2

- All other devices

The satellite Deco 1 would never get past a blinking red light. From the app, I would see the satellite Deco 1 would join the network, then drop, then join, ad nauseum. The desktop was still able to access the network without issues.

In writing this up as a question, I realized that I also had the SG105 plugged into the router. As soon as I disconnected the SG105 from the router, the satellite Deco 1 came up fine and stayed on the network. Hopefully this post can save someone else a couple hours of frustration.

Options
1 Reply
Re:SOLVED: Deco X20 is unstable with Ethernet backhaul
2023-02-10 20:02:05

@templedf,

Glad you were able to get it figured out, the extra ports on the router from your ISP is usually an indicator that either the router can have its own wireless connection or is a more advanced modem that can handle aggregating multiple networks, or in some cases, it is just a digital phone line.

One thing to note since you mention that you have a router at the head of your network; if the device is broadcasting its own signal, you would want to enable either bridge or passthrough mode. Otherwise, you will need to use the Decos in AP mode as there will be conflicts between the addresses assigned by the deco and the router.

Out of curiosity, did the Deco only go offline when you were using devices or sending traffic from the satellite deco through the switch directly to the router? I am curious if the switches connection was attempting to reconfigure itself as having a WAN connection.

Options