Deco M5 will not get a new IP address from Internet Provider Spectrum after a reboot or Power cycle

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5 will not get a new IP address from Internet Provider Spectrum after a reboot or Power cycle

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-24 13:56:13
Tags: #Spectrum
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.6.1 Build 20220818 Rel. 36456

Everytime I reboot my Deco Nework or power cycle my main Deco M5 the main M5 will not get a new IP address from Internet Provider Spectrum. If I disconnect the modem from the M5 and connect it to my laptop my laptop gets a public IP address just fine from the provider spectrum a 74.X.X.X address.  Then when I pu tthe cable back and reboot again the modem and the Deco M5 it takes forever to get a public IP from Specturms modem. 

Last night it must have rebooted the modem and Deco 20 times waiting 10 min to up to an hour between reboots. I wish there was a way to force the M5 to ask for a DHCP renew manually from the ISP. 

Randomly i was going to bed and I thought I'd power cyle the modem and M5 one more time and "majically" it got the Public IP from specturm.  When the Deco's are connected things work great except for that DHCP problem where it stop handing out IPs until you reboot ( then I have the issue of can't even get the internet DHCP to seem to work)  please help or is there some beta software out there that may fix this issue.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco M5 will not get a new IP address from Internet Provider Spectrum after a reboot or Power cycle
2023-02-24 18:56:29

@cjosbo 

This is because your lease on the existing IP address is still valid.  When you authenticate after a power cycle/reboot.  There is a check and if you have a IP lease that is valid the IP is reissued to your router through the modem.  To get a new IP you need to have the ISP clear your lease or have the modem powered down for about 15 minutes so the lease is dropped.  After that a new IP should be provided. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 257

Replies: 1

Tags

Spectrum
Related Articles