Home Deco Mesh network doesn't provide even coverage

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-25 16:22:15
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.6 build 20220909, Rel. 59388

We just installed a Deco X20 mesh network. Upstairs is the modem (netgear) connected to an xfinity network (500 mbps). The X20 mesh router (unit 1) sits nearby to it and is attached by CAT 5 Ethernet.  Downstairs, we've had to place two X20 mesh units about 25 feet from each other to get higher throughput.

The router, is connected to a modem providing 480 mbps, however, the X20 mesh router provides just 98 mbps to our top floor. (The Deco network operates on two floors).

On the main floor, if we link just one Deco X20, we get about 110 mbps. If we link a 2nd X20, we get 468.5 mbps (down) and 11.8 mbps (up).

Why is the downstairs mesh providing higher mbps which is a floor away from the modem/X20 router, and the upstairs router only provides about 25% of the downstairs mesh units? I'm puzzled. Any ideas?

====================== AndrewBL Deco Mesh User Minnesota
Options
3 Reply
Re:Home Deco Mesh network doesn't provide even coverage
2023-02-28 01:31:10

@AndrewBL,

I would have to agree here, something is not quite making sense.

Are you able to check the speeds of these devices with a wired connection such as a PC? Ethernet Speed tests are truly the only accurate indicator of what each node is receiving, and it is possible that it is only the wireless connections that are being affected.

From your post, though, it sounds like the main router, even alone, does not even get close to your expected speed; it is only the third deco node that is able to receive the whole bandwidth?

I would first double-check your QoS settings to ensure it is not too low. You may try to manually set the QoS equal to or above what you are expecting to receive from your ISP.

Your Ethernet Cable, is it CAT5? or CAT5E? A CAT5 Cable cannot go over 100mbps, but this would not explain your third decos speed.

I would honestly recommend resetting the main node and reconfiguring the network, as it appears as though something is not negotiating the speeds correctly. If you do not want to reset your network, try simply swapping the main node with another node, and changing the main node setting in the deco app. This will cause the network to reconfigure itself appropriately. 

Options
2023-06-26 06:28:50

I have the same issue as you. Both of my Deco units on the ground floor and first floor support Gigabit speed. However, the third node on the second floor is only achieving a speed of 100Mbps. All the cables I'm using are CAT5E. All Deco units are in AP mode with Ethernet backhaul. So, how can I check this correctly? Currently, I'm only using the Speedtest app on my phone, which shows a speed below 100Mbps at the third node.

Options
2023-06-27 00:31:17

@bibi9768,

A few things - the wireless speed test app on phones is far less precise than using a wired connection to test the speed. Even if it appears that full speeds are being reached, there is the potential for speed tests to be inaccurate due to the features of the service and server you are connecting to. It is also important to consider that when testing wirelessly, your phone may not currently communicate with the closest node, or may be using the slower 2.4GHz band.

If possible, first test the speed with a wired connection to see what speeds the third Deco is receiving.

Normally, the speed being limited to 100Mbps is an indicator of a problem with the cable. Even if your cable is rated to support the speeds, it is possible that a fault has been developed or the cable has been damaged. To test this, move the satellite (third) node into the same room as the main deco and wire the devices together. Then test the speed with a wired connection to see if the node can receive gigabit speeds.

I would also recommend trying to swap Ethernet Ports on the nodes, as all the Ethernet ports have Auto WAN/LAN sensing, so it does not matter which port is used(other than the speed ratings of the ports)

Lastly, while Ethernet Backhauls are preferred by a long shot, try testing your network while using a wireless backhaul to the third node. If there is a problem with the cable, you may see higher speeds.

Options