IoT network issue on Deco X55

IoT network issue on Deco X55

30 Reply
Re:IoT network issue on Deco X55
2023-07-26 17:08:46

@Riley_S 

I'm looking forward to your article when you finish it. I have been testing the device isolation feature that was added to the AX55 in the last firmware update. It works well when the router is in the wireless router mode but doesn't work when the router is configured as an access point, even though the devices are listed in the main router's isolation list. I'm hoping this gets added (or fixed) in a future update. For now, the IoT device is only isolated if it connects to the main router instead of the access point. I have devices that are midway between the two and can connect to either depending on several factors.

One suggestion I have for future implementation is to perhaps have several groups within the isolated devices configuration which would allow the devices in a particular group to communicate with each other but not with all the other isolated devices. This way smart bulbs, Amazon devices, etc. could be grouped and separated from each other and the main network.

Another feature I can recommend is to be able to specify a device(s), much like for remote management, that can access the isolated devices for configuration or monitoring purposes. As it is now, a PC on the main network can not access an isolated device unless the PC is then too isolated or the device is dropped from the isolated list.

Options
2023-09-04 18:38:47 - last edited 2023-09-04 18:39:40

@Riley_S ,

Any idea when this new firmware will be rolled out to the Deco X55? I am another user who wishes to isolate the devices on the IoT network. When I check for updates, I am told that I am up to date running firmware 1.1.0 Build 20230522 Rel. 68968

Options
2023-09-05 18:18:59

Hey @Scott_Me,

I believe that the X55 has received the update already. What hardware version are you using?

If the update is not detected, you may try changing the DNS server of your Deco network to see if this will allow the update to appear. Otherwise, you may always perform a manual upgrade using the firmware listed on the download page for your hardware version: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/deco-x55/v1/#Firmware

Options
2023-09-06 06:57:18 - last edited 2023-09-06 06:58:16

@Riley_S 

Thank you for the response. It appears I have hardware version 1.26. From the support link, the version available for download is Deco X55(US)_V1.26_1.1.0 Build 20230522, which is what I have installed on the device already.

Options
2023-09-06 19:02:40

@Scott_Me,

Everything indicates that you the IoT network was included in that firmware update for the 1.26 version. Make sure that you are checking all the tabs in the app for the feature, as it will not be enabled by default. Are you able to see any of the other features that were added in that update? Are your Decos running in AP Mode or Router Mode?

Options
2023-09-06 22:38:54

@Riley_S ,

I am in router mode. There are no other options for the IoT network other than turning it on/off, setting password, security method, and enabling the bands. Here is a screen shot:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-kdvqG2h/0/2fefdb11/X4/i-kdvqG2h-X4.jpg

Options
2023-09-06 23:59:13

@Scott_Me,

Ah gotcha, so the IoT network and device isolation are separate features since you can isolate devices that are connected to any of your Deco's networks. The options for device isolation can be found on the security page. Check out this FAQ for specifically the device isolation feature: Using Device Isolation on Deco

Options
2023-09-07 01:14:34

@Riley_S 

Okay, I see the device isolation feature under the security settings and it appears to work, as I can no longer ping a device that has been isolated from my non-isolated desktop PC.  It's not quite how I was expecting this to be implemented, but I guess it works. Thanks for all of your help with this.

Options
2023-10-17 04:21:48

How can I get ethernet connected devices onto the IoT network?

Options
2023-10-17 16:58:07

@dezerving,

There is no real purpose in directly adding an ethernet device to the IoT network, instead you should look towards the Device Isolation feature which will allow the isolated to device to see any other isolated devices on your network, but will not allow for communication with the other devices on your network.

Options
Related Articles