I have FTTH on Kinetic. Was told I have an ONT outside. Will this connect without a modem?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

I have FTTH on Kinetic. Was told I have an ONT outside. Will this connect without a modem?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-18 14:01:25
Tags: #Modem Required?
Model: Archer AX75  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have FTTH on Kinetic.  Was told I have an ONT outside.  Will this connect without a modem?

Options
3 Reply
Re:I have FTTH on Kinetic. Was told I have an ONT outside. Will this connect without a modem?
2023-03-20 21:07:12

@Ol-puter-guy 

If you have an ONT and it has a Ethernet out, then that ONT would be the modem and that is what you would connect to your router. 

Options
Re:I have FTTH on Kinetic. Was told I have an ONT outside. Will this connect without a modem?
2023-03-20 23:55:51

@Carl   I have not actually looked at the ONT but an ethernet cable comes out of the 'box', runs insided and connects to my Windstream T3260 router modem.  I finally got the TP-Link AXE5400 (Archer AX75) working by putting it in in Dynamic IP mode.  Pretty much an access point.  I get better wifi coverage but didn't accomplish eleminating a 'box'.  Oh well..     Thanks

Options
2023-03-21 15:54:13

@Ol-puter-guy 

Dynamic IP under internet connection is not running the Deco as an Access Point.   APs forward all IP requests to the Host router, so they don't handle IPs at all.  Dynamic IP is just a form of ISP connection type.  It is no different than PPPoE (DSL) or Static IP.  It just identifies the way your router communicates with the ISP service and requests a Public IP.  In fact, at least here in the US Dynamic IP is the most common type of ISP connection type.   Since that is what brought the service up it does appear your ISP uses Dynamic IP for addressing.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 332

Replies: 3

Tags

Modem Required?
Related Articles