failure to upgrade firmware on TL-WR841N router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-25 15:18:16
Model: TL-WR841N  
Hardware Version: V13
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 3.16 v0348.0 Build 161027 Rel.67375n

I have spent hours attempting to upgrade my firmware. This device does not have cloud access. I do not have an extract tool as that requires an expensive purchase for a one time item. I use my laptop for minimal items, but the problem is we are getting a lot of buffering on our TV and I am thinking my router is the issue. Purchased router in 2017 and I have not updated the firmware ever. What is the best FREE extract program to download, if in fact I must? I can locate the proper firmware download based on V13 and the purchase date. I just seem to keep getting jammed up on opening the program. Winzip keeps jumping on me with a $50 plus program. I called my computer support and had them upgrade and clean my entire laptop before my support contract expires next week, all downloads and drivers are up to date as of this day, 3/25. So the issue still of buffering continues, we have lots of bandwidth and my ping rate is more than adequate. It has to be the router firmware. Failing that a new router but money is tight and we all know how that is right now. Can someone suggest a good FREE extractor for me to open this upgrade file PLEASE!   Or am I doing it all wrong.

Options
1 Reply
Re:failure to upgrade firmware on TL-WR841N router
2023-03-27 21:37:53

@womack,

While you should still attempt to update your router's firmware, I am inclined to believe that the age of the technology in your router may be the cause of the buffering. Wireless N was a long time ago, and we have since moved to AC, then AX, then AXE, and now BE. It is worth checking what speeds you are able to receive on your laptop versus what you were expecting it to receive. The Router you have listed is only rated for a maximum of 300Mbps, but this speed would not be seen unless using a wired connection. Does the buffering continue if you lower the quality of your stream?

As a heads up, we are just now moving into the BE era of networking, or WI-Fi 7. This means you may start to see some more affordable upgrade paths arise as a result of AX and AXE networking "technically" becoming dated, even though it is what most households will use for the time being.

If you are using one of the newer versions of  Windows, you may have an extract tool built into your PC already through the file explorer; otherwise, some other common extraction tools are 7Zip, or Winrar. There are many tools out there, but these are at least the ones that I have personally used before.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 283

Replies: 1