Firmware update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Firmware update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Firmware update
Firmware update
2023-04-01 13:02:03 - last edited 2023-04-03 22:06:21

See that there is an update for the Archer A8. 

Version:

1.12.10 Build 230208 Rel.38878n(5553)

When try to run firmware update via Tether app the router freezes, download fails and have to reboot the router. Anyone have any solutions?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Firmware update -Solution
2023-04-03 19:05:15 - last edited 2023-04-03 22:06:21

@MikeLINY,

As is the case with firmware updates on any device, it is recommended that you attempt the firmware update over a wired connection to ensure the best stability. Firmware updates are aborted often as they have the potential to brick devices, for this reason updates will always be halted if the smallest chance of an error pops up.

Firmware Downloads and Updates will also fail when done from the cloud if your device is having issues contacting the TP-Link Cloud services. Before manually updating, you may try to change the DNS server that your network is using to see if this will allow the update to proceed.

It may be possible that your Router is simply aborting the upgrade to a disconnect transfer issue. I would recommend attempting to use a wired connection with a PC and updating with the downloaded file from your support page. See the FAQ: How to Upgrade the Firmware of Your Deco

If I were to hazard a guess based on the beta firmware I have published for this device, this should be a relatively large update that may be introducing EasyMesh Networking to your router. For these updates that bring your device to what is essentially a new OS release, I would definitely recommend updating with a wired connection and with the firmware files already downloaded.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Firmware update -Solution
2023-04-03 19:05:15 - last edited 2023-04-03 22:06:21

@MikeLINY,

As is the case with firmware updates on any device, it is recommended that you attempt the firmware update over a wired connection to ensure the best stability. Firmware updates are aborted often as they have the potential to brick devices, for this reason updates will always be halted if the smallest chance of an error pops up.

Firmware Downloads and Updates will also fail when done from the cloud if your device is having issues contacting the TP-Link Cloud services. Before manually updating, you may try to change the DNS server that your network is using to see if this will allow the update to proceed.

It may be possible that your Router is simply aborting the upgrade to a disconnect transfer issue. I would recommend attempting to use a wired connection with a PC and updating with the downloaded file from your support page. See the FAQ: How to Upgrade the Firmware of Your Deco

If I were to hazard a guess based on the beta firmware I have published for this device, this should be a relatively large update that may be introducing EasyMesh Networking to your router. For these updates that bring your device to what is essentially a new OS release, I would definitely recommend updating with a wired connection and with the firmware files already downloaded.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Firmware update
2023-04-03 21:18:24

@Riley_S 

updating via wired connection solved the issue. Thank you. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 605

Replies: 2

Related Articles