X20s in AP mode for Sonos

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-06 03:31:28 - last edited 2023-04-10 18:30:28
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.2

Hello, I'm trying to get my Sonos system to work well with my Deco x20 setup. I have them in router mode now with one wired into my ISO, one hard wired, and one as an un-wired satellite. I believe the best solution is to put them in access point mode, so I need to get a new router in order to do that? And if so is there a TP-Link router you'd recommend?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:X20s in AP mode for Sonos-Solution
2023-04-07 16:45:47 - last edited 2023-04-10 18:30:28

@20mmm,

Was SONOS support able to give any hints or information in regards to what may be affecting the connection? If you have already gone through and switched the wireless channel, then I would not expect the problem to lie with wireless interference. 

If it is a routing error causing the issue, I have a few things that you may try, especially for any wireless speaker.

- Turn off Mesh Networking for your Speakers through the Deco App

- Change the DNS Server being used to a common service, such as Google or Cloudflare

- Set an IP reservation for the speakers so that they are less inclined to change when their lease expires

Are you able to test to see if wiring one speaker to the main node and only using that speaker shows the same behavior?

Lastly, AP mode is definitely possible, but you will still need to have a DHCP server/router in front of the Decos - Since channel interference seems to not be the case, this may not fix the behavior as it may be dependent on a setting on your router rather than a physical conflict. 

Do you know if the modem provided by your ISP is able to provide a Wi-Fi connection? If yes, you may turn off bridge or passthrough mode on your modem, which will reenable the wireless network and allow you to use the Decos in AP mode

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:X20s in AP mode for Sonos
2023-04-06 16:25:16

@20mmm

IS there a specific reason that you want to use them in Access Point Mode, rather than as as router with a mesh network? Using them in AP mode will take away al lot of the benefits of having a mesh network.

If your Sonos system is having difficulties, it is most likely a result of the wireless channel used by Sonos. There should be an option in your Sonos app to change what channel is being used.

Options
2023-04-07 03:10:53

@Riley_S ever since I switched to the Decos I've been getting "The connection to Spotify was lost" and I have to ask Alexa twice for it to play any music. I've switched through different Sonos network channels, and even talked with their support with no luck. This is kind of my last ditch effort...

Options
Re:X20s in AP mode for Sonos-Solution
2023-04-07 16:45:47 - last edited 2023-04-10 18:30:28

@20mmm,

Was SONOS support able to give any hints or information in regards to what may be affecting the connection? If you have already gone through and switched the wireless channel, then I would not expect the problem to lie with wireless interference. 

If it is a routing error causing the issue, I have a few things that you may try, especially for any wireless speaker.

- Turn off Mesh Networking for your Speakers through the Deco App

- Change the DNS Server being used to a common service, such as Google or Cloudflare

- Set an IP reservation for the speakers so that they are less inclined to change when their lease expires

Are you able to test to see if wiring one speaker to the main node and only using that speaker shows the same behavior?

Lastly, AP mode is definitely possible, but you will still need to have a DHCP server/router in front of the Decos - Since channel interference seems to not be the case, this may not fix the behavior as it may be dependent on a setting on your router rather than a physical conflict. 

Do you know if the modem provided by your ISP is able to provide a Wi-Fi connection? If yes, you may turn off bridge or passthrough mode on your modem, which will reenable the wireless network and allow you to use the Decos in AP mode

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-04-08 14:15:06

@Riley_S thank you so much!! I've been struggling with this for months and I'm not sure if it was the IP reservation or the DNS swap but it's working perfectly now! You're a damn wizard, thanks again smiley

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 305

Replies: 4