Connecting two X60 nodes directly to modem?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-09 15:35:27 - last edited 2023-05-17 15:38:01
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.01

Hi everyone.

I'm setting up a new trio of Deco X60 nodes. One node is too far from the main, but I have a wired ethernet connection to that location. Both the ethernet ports on the main node are already occupied, so I would like to connect the remote node directly to the modem (D-Link DWR-961 cellular modem/router, in case that matters). The catch is, it has to still remain part of the same network. At the moment, the wired ethernet link seems to just be ignored. The remote node is showing in the app as connected to the main via wifi with a weak signal.

Is this feasible?

Here's a diagram of what I have and what I'd like to set up.

Current and desired network topologies

Would appreciate any tips or pointers to relevant posts -- I tried looking but have not had much luck.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Connecting two X60 nodes directly to modem?-Solution
2023-05-09 18:41:56 - last edited 2023-05-17 15:38:01

@MeadowCreek

What you are looking at is the AP mode on Deco, which just extends the wireless connection from your Main Router. To use this, you need to make sure that your modem is also able to function as a wireless router. If it can, then you can use the Decos in AP mode, but you will lose a bunch of the features as the Gateway(modem+router combo) will be managing the network's connections. I wrote this to another user but it applies to your situation too:

Recommended Router Mode Setup: ATT Gateway > Main Deco > Network Switch > Wall Ports > Other Decos/Devices

AP Mode Setup: ATT Gateway > Optional Network Switch > Wall Ports > All AP Mode Decos and Other Devices

In AP Mode, the Decos are operating as an extension of your ATT Gateway, meaning that the Gateway is the only device managing the traffic - so all configuration of devices or parental controls must be made using ATTs settings, rather than Decos. See More Details in this FAQ: What’s the difference between Access Point mode and Router mode on the Deco?

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Connecting two X60 nodes directly to modem?
2023-05-09 16:26:33 - last edited 2023-05-09 16:28:28

@MeadowCreek,

If you are using multiple ports on your Gateway, and you have the Decos set to router mode, then the devices will not be able to see each other on the network, as each Deco will be fighting to be the main node and receive the public IP address. To get around this, the solution is to place an ethernet switch after the main deco for your devices and nodes to connect to.

What you will want to do is setup a connection like: Modem > Main Deco > Switch > Other Nodes+Devices

The Desired Topology example will not work as one coherent network. If you do not have a Deco Node next to your gateway, you may consider adding one there so that the modem's connection can be quickly processed and distributed to the rest of the nodes and devices on your network.

Options
2023-05-09 16:32:33

@Riley_S thank you; I was afraid that might be the answer.

Though I just came across this post. It sounds like I could get the result I'm after without adding a switch if I flip the Deco nodes to bridge mode?

Options
Re:Connecting two X60 nodes directly to modem?-Solution
2023-05-09 18:41:56 - last edited 2023-05-17 15:38:01

@MeadowCreek

What you are looking at is the AP mode on Deco, which just extends the wireless connection from your Main Router. To use this, you need to make sure that your modem is also able to function as a wireless router. If it can, then you can use the Decos in AP mode, but you will lose a bunch of the features as the Gateway(modem+router combo) will be managing the network's connections. I wrote this to another user but it applies to your situation too:

Recommended Router Mode Setup: ATT Gateway > Main Deco > Network Switch > Wall Ports > Other Decos/Devices

AP Mode Setup: ATT Gateway > Optional Network Switch > Wall Ports > All AP Mode Decos and Other Devices

In AP Mode, the Decos are operating as an extension of your ATT Gateway, meaning that the Gateway is the only device managing the traffic - so all configuration of devices or parental controls must be made using ATTs settings, rather than Decos. See More Details in this FAQ: What’s the difference between Access Point mode and Router mode on the Deco?

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-05-17 15:37:55

Following up with a resolution.

Since the issue was the lack of a 3rd Ethernet port, I upgraded to the AX4300 Pro 3-pack. The additional port on the X4300 nodes let me set one to Ethernet backhaul, and allowed for the topology I wanted without the need to switch the nodes to AP mode.

Cleaner, and at just a small added cost.

Options