Security

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Security

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Security
Security
2023-05-13 20:21:21

This is my first time using a TP-Link product.  Installation was simple, however, I'm concerned about TP-Link's interest in security.   When I had to enter my password into their unsecured site, the password was revealed, plain as day, to anyone who may be snooping.   There was no effort to hide the password as I entered it, whatsoever.   I hope that this isn't a sign of how TP-Link handles security in general.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Security
2023-05-15 22:43:47

@Cynna 

Hello Cynna.  I assume this references the router's UI.  It is not actually an unsecured site.  While the URL, by default, is HTTP, instead of HTTPS, its not actually a website.  It is a DNS resolution of the router's default gateway IP address.  It is also not a public-facing URL.  As it represents the router's Gateway address, a private IP, it can only be accessed by a device on the local network of the router.  Because of this there is no real reason a secure site is needed.  

That said you can enable router login via HTTPS from the router's administration settings in the Advanced menu.  

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! Get Started Here!
Options
Re:Security
2023-05-15 22:50:29 - last edited 2023-05-15 22:50:52

@Cynna,

The site that I believe you are talking about is the redirect site that is used to access the WebUI, correct?

This web address and the data passing between your device and the router while connected are entirely hosted on your own network and cannot be accessed or seen from outside of your local network. Essentially, the router will look for that web address, and when a request is made with that URL, the router will connect your device directly to the UI of your router based on its current IP address. Meaning you are not connecting to a website, but rather just the interface of your router through your LOCAL network connection.

Our teams always make our user's and network's safety and security a top priority for development. Any sensitive information passed to TP-Link servers such as your login for your TP-Link ID is always encrypted and secured.

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! | Get Started Here!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 314

Replies: 2

Related Articles