Ethernet Back Haul

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Ethernet Back Haul

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Ethernet Back Haul
Ethernet Back Haul
2023-05-19 02:10:41
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I just purchased the DECO XE75, three pack, .  The diagrams for connecting two satellite units to the main unit show a switch in the chain as an option (two satellites to the switch, switch connected to the main DECO).  I was wondering is the switch mandatory?  Since the units each have three ethernet ports, my plan is to connect the main one to the modem using one of the ports, I then plan to connect each of the satellites to the each of the two remaining ethernet ports on the main DECO. My house is pre-wired with CAT 5e, and all cables converge at the location I will be installing the main DECO (the one connected to the modem). Will this work, or do I have to use a switch?  Also, if this works, do I need to change the main from ROUTER default?

Thanks

Options
2 Reply
Re:Ethernet Back Haul
2023-05-19 16:32:09

@kalanbays,

Is your modem able to broadcast a wireless signal? If so, you would have a gateway, which would either need you to use AP mode, or enable bridge mode on your Gateway.

As long as you are connecting to just a modem and not another router - you may leave your Deco in Router Mode.

The Switch is entirely optional, it simply adds additional ethernet ports for you to work with, such as if you needed to wire a PC, server, or other devices on top of your satellite nodes. You may always consider adding a switch to your configuration at a later time if you find that you need more ethernet ports for your connections. The addition of a switch will not change anything about your network, and your nodes will be able to reconfigure themselves to communicate with the main node.

Options
Re:Ethernet Back Haul
2023-05-20 14:37:08
Thanks, that is helpful.
Options