20 Reply
Re:Your Experience with TP-Link and Starlink
2023-06-18 07:00:11

@Riley_S 

Options
2023-06-21 15:54:48

@Riley_S 

Been using Starlink since the early Beta days in WA state near the pacific coast.

Used the original Starlink router first with a RE650 range extender and it worked great for our small network of IoT devices (Ring camera, Wi-Fi thermostat, a couple of streaming TVs) and me working from the beach :)

The round dishy died a few weeks ago and I received the new rectangular dish as a replacement with the new router, still using the RE650 to extend the network. 

Funny side effect is that when a device is connected through the extender the Wi-Fi coverage map in the Starlink app does not detect the correct signal strength anymore and all tiles it draws are red even though the device has full signal and speed. I am going to get a the Starlink Mesh extender to test out with a new hardware and software in a few weeks and will see if that performs any different. 

Mike Technology enthusiast. Geek
Options
2023-06-21 22:42:06

@snackpack,

You would need to check the firmware updates for the specific model, as the static route feature is still rolling out to Decos, and not all models of the X20 have received the update. The most recent patch notes include a note for "Added Static Route Function"

Options
TP-Link Router to Gen-2 Starlink with Ethernet Adapter and Enabling Bypass Mode for TCS Tracking
2023-07-23 22:51:13

In the second generation of Starlink routers, a noticeable change is the absence of an Ethernet jack. As a result, users looking to connect additional routers, like the TP-Link router, must obtain a Starlink Ethernet Adapter. This adapter facilitates the connection between the Gen-2 Starlink router and the TP-Link router, allowing for a more flexible network setup.

The Gen-2 Starlink router features a Bypass mode, which grants users the ability to disable the built-in WiFi router functionality. This mode is beneficial for those who prefer using their own routers with advanced features and greater control over their network settings. By enabling Bypass mode, the Gen-2 Starlink router acts purely as a satellite modem, relaying the connection to the secondary router, like the TP-Link device.

TCS Tracking, which stands for "Time and Control Systems Tracking," refers to a different topic unrelated to the Starlink routers. TCS Tracking is a broad term used in various industries to monitor, trace, and manage time-sensitive processes or systems efficiently. It can apply to logistics, supply chain management, transportation, or even software development processes.

Please note that the information provided above is based on the knowledge available up to September 2021, and any developments or changes in the Starlink router setup beyond that date may not be reflected in this response.

Options
TP-Link Router to Gen-2 Starlink with Ethernet Adapter and Enabling Bypass Mode for TCS Tracking
2023-07-24 00:31:02

@Davidson21 

I have and use the 2nd Gen Starlink. I have found the Ethernet Adapter to be easy to use and as you indicated it is necessary to properly use Starlink in "Bridge Mode".

Options
2023-08-04 10:08:03
Hello, I'm interested to know more about your setup. I have a 1 acre property. My starlink dish and router are in a setup in a shed about 40 feet from the house 150 feet from a barn. I can't do wired connections from building to building for various reasons. In the house, I'd like to have a smart home controller wired to a router. Is this possible? Wireless from shed to house and then have a router in the house with backhaul? Are you doing something similar? Thanks!
Options
2023-08-05 05:53:24

@tk-yoder I am doing something similar. I have the Starlink Router in the Shed about 30 meters from the house. In the house I have a TP-Link 650 WiFi extender with a LAN port. I use the LAN port to hook up my smart home controller and Ring Alarm and the extended WiFi for my devices in the house.For the barn if you can't run a Cat6 there I would use a Weboost or similar longer range WiFi booster if I needed network at the barn

Mike

Mike Technology enthusiast. Geek
Options
2023-08-05 08:12:04

@tk-yoder 

I now have two locations that I move the starlink back and forth to.

In one I have a M5 deco mesh behind the ER605 WAN router. The router picks the path over T-mobile home internet or the starlink. I backhaul most of the m5 decos except one which just connects to the mesh. That system works fine and until I see a need for more local bandwidth I see no reason to change it.

In my newer location I have the ER605 WAN router connecting to Starlink and someday soon fiber. I use a EAP650 AP for the house and a EAP225 to connect to the lake shore. Everything is wired although I did notice all the devices connected as access points without the backhaul wiring. The OC200 is well worth it if you go the Omada route. Remote management and no monthly fee is pretty handy. Omada seems like a big upgrade in terms of management, but I have seen devices reluctant to switch access points, which was not an issue with the Deco mesh. Your setup seems very doable, you just have to make sure the wifi connections are a reasonable distance apart and that wifi itself can handle the bandwidth requirements of the backhaul. Depending on the load, a network device that has a special backhaul band might be a very useful thing. 

Options
2023-08-05 12:36:39

@tk-yoder 

I think your over complicating your network plan. What make the TP Link mesh so powerful is that it uses the Omada control. SO you should keep everything configured with that.

I am doing the same as you are wanting to do, as my Starlink is in my shop 90' from my house and I have full coverage well over an acre.

It would be best to have a direct connection from you shop to your house, but its not a deal breaker if you don't.

Using TpLink Omada based AP's you avoid double Natting with multiple routers and overly complicating your network.

Pick a Router like the RL-605 then connect to the Starlink  (set to bridge mode) use a OC200 to control you network. You then hard link the AP's around your shed  for the best outside coverage. I use a combination of EAP 225 and EAP 610 outdoors.  The key is that you need the AP on you house to have one Ethernet port available to connect to a cloud base switch that way you can use any hard wired devices ( i use the TL-SG2008P). You can then add indoor rated Mesh AP's to areas with poor coverage.  This line of devices all work together are inexpensive and "Just work". 

I can tell you the EAP 225;s are powerful have excellent range and long lasting, the key to doing it like this is you ony have one router and the Omada controlling all flows and IP addressing.  As you move around your property the connection is seamless. 

The only difference in this suggested network and what I am using is that I have a fiber connection to the switch in home from my shop.

I have the RL-605 as a backup router, but now use a Firewalla Gold router because I have Starling and a backup connection. I found that the TL-605 would not reliably switch networks if Starlink was to drop. The Firewalla does.

Just use the Omada controlled devices they are Business class and not expensive. I would stay away from the other more consumer grade Mesh systems if you really want to make a big network with large coverage area. I would only use one router and avoid doing back haul, you just don't need to be that complicated.  If you need help You can DM me on instagram @wlbryce more than happy to help. 

Options
2023-08-23 14:58:31
I will probably post this separately as well, but as a Starlink user, I'm trying to find a way to port-forward from the VPN Client interface with dedicated IP to a LAN endpoint. I have an AX75/AXE5400 and I don't think I can do it within the current firmware.
Options