TP LInk A9 series working with Netgear and LinkSys switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-10 02:51:43 - last edited 2022-05-27 05:48:14
Model: Archer A9  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 1.1.0

I'm having network connectivity issues working with my TPLink router combined with my switch. I've had this solution in place for the past 5 months working pretty much flawlessly. I'm connected to the network via high-speed Fiber Optic. My original switch was a 8 port Netgear GS308v3. About a month ago, I suddenly found my conneced systems (all wired and wireless devices) all going offline from the network. On troubleshooting, I found all problems go away when disconnecting my Netgear switch. I can literally watch the shown wired connections on the TPLink admin site go from 4 to 0 and my internet show as offline by connecting up the switch. I remove the switch, all remaining wired connections show up, and internet returns. At this point, I assumed I maybe had a bad switch so I replaced it - this time with a LinkSys 8 port hub (SE3008v2). I hook everything up and everything runs fine for 3 weeks. Suddenly, I have the same issue with my new switch. The same exact troubleshooting reveals that hooking up the switch causes a disruption. Disconnecting the switch restores the network for all remaining connected and wireless devices.

I'm frankly at a loss. Do I just have a bad TPLink router? 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TP LInk A9 series working with Netgear and LinkSys switch-Solution
2022-05-25 13:43:26 - last edited 2022-05-27 05:48:14

@Kevin_Z 

No, the connection is as follows:

ISP (Fiber) -> Archer A9 -> LinkSys 8 port hub (connected to on of the Archer LAN ports) -> Printer, IP phone and 2 computers connected

After further troubleshooting, what I've found is one longer cable connected to the hub seemed to be problematic. When I removed that connection, everything worked again.

What is troublesome for me was the strange impact this bad cable had.

- Plugged into hub -> connection to the internet goes offline (Archer A9 internet link turns orange). 

- Unplugged from hub -> connection to interenet back online (Archer A9 internet link turns green)

All the while, I can access the A9 web interface via another device (either wifi or a different device off the A9 router). The cable was one of my longer cables - maybe 12 feet but could in fact be bad. I haven't tested it.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:TP LInk A9 series working with Netgear and LinkSys switch
2022-05-24 03:19:08

Hello @MarkSecrist 

Is the network layout now as follows?

ISP modem --- LinkSys 8 port hub (SE3008v2) --- Archer A9?

Will the internet LED on the A9 turn orange when all the devices show offline? Who is your ISP?

How long is the cable between the modem and LinkSys 8 port hub (SE3008v2), and how long is that between the LinkSys 8 port hub (SE3008v2) and the A9?

Options
Re:TP LInk A9 series working with Netgear and LinkSys switch-Solution
2022-05-25 13:43:26 - last edited 2022-05-27 05:48:14

@Kevin_Z 

No, the connection is as follows:

ISP (Fiber) -> Archer A9 -> LinkSys 8 port hub (connected to on of the Archer LAN ports) -> Printer, IP phone and 2 computers connected

After further troubleshooting, what I've found is one longer cable connected to the hub seemed to be problematic. When I removed that connection, everything worked again.

What is troublesome for me was the strange impact this bad cable had.

- Plugged into hub -> connection to the internet goes offline (Archer A9 internet link turns orange). 

- Unplugged from hub -> connection to interenet back online (Archer A9 internet link turns green)

All the while, I can access the A9 web interface via another device (either wifi or a different device off the A9 router). The cable was one of my longer cables - maybe 12 feet but could in fact be bad. I haven't tested it.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:TP LInk A9 series working with Netgear and LinkSys switch
2022-05-27 05:47:24

@MarkSecrist 

I see. Maybe the cable is just not good fit with the Ethernet port on the Archer A9. Anyway, it's good to know the issue is gone by replacing that cable.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 450

Replies: 3