Child shows Blocked, but has unlimited time

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-04 19:48:24
Tags: #Parental Control #Time Limits
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Time Limits used to work, but not now. My daughter's profile shows "Blocked"; however she continues to accrue time. e.g. it says 33mm Used / 12h 51m. There is definitely time limits set (1.5hr weekdays, 3hr weekends). I tried rebooting the main router; but not the other two. Do I need to do all of them, or maybe something else to get parental controls working again?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Child shows Blocked, but has unlimited time
2023-06-05 20:05:52

@KirstenJ,

I would always recommend rebooting your whole network when issues arise, however, parental controls are managed by the main node and rebooting the main node should suffice.

I would first check to see if there are any unknown devices, or if you can, see if the Private Addressing Feature for your home Wi-Fi is enabled on your daughter's phone, as this would cause your phone to appear as a new device to the router.

If the issue is simply that the time continues to count up when the device is not in use, this would most likely be a result of the background traffic needed by the phone maintaining the connection with the internet for things such as notifications. Is the device in use while it is accruing time, or is it idle and still accruing time?

Apologies in advance if i did not understand your situation.

Options
Re:Child shows Blocked, but has unlimited time
2023-06-08 17:00:18

@Riley_S Thank you for your response, and patience. It took me a couple of days to see if modifications I made were working - due to time resetting etc.

I was aware that background processes count towards Time Limit. It's a hassle that i have to go in and "Reward" more time when she hasn't even been on her devices that day. I've asked TP-Link for a future code enhancement to differentiate between user and bg processes.

Virtual MAC address was enabled (evidently the default on Apple devices), so I changed that on hers; thank you. 

Still, the problem was not fixed. i.e. Time Limit not adhered to, time allotted showed too high, and Block did nothing.

I checked and there was a firmware update available; which I took. Everything now seems to be working OK. Yea!

Options