Can I create a OneMesh network using two RE220 using their ethernet to connect to my modem?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can I create a OneMesh network using two RE220 using their ethernet to connect to my modem?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-13 03:08:42 - last edited 2023-07-16 06:54:55
Model: RE220  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I see that the RE220 range extender can be setup as an access point using the ethernet port to connect to the modem. I see that RE220 is also compatible with OneMesh.

Can I buy 2 or more RE220 range extenders, connect them all to my modem by ethernet, and then create a OneMesh network with them? Or am I required to have a OneMesh router to use the RE220 in OneMesh mode?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can I create a OneMesh network using two RE220 using their ethernet to connect to my modem?-Solution
2023-07-16 06:53:38 - last edited 2023-07-16 06:54:55

@Riley_S I think your answer may be slightly misleading.

The RE220 can be used in access point mode, which means it doesn't need a WiFi router to connect to. In that mode, it can use the Ethernet port to connect to the modem. I explored the RE220 web interface several times, and I concluded that it doesn't support OneMesh when used in access point mode.

Still, as a WiFi repeater, it had some limited use for me, but I decided to return the RE220 as it does not support WPA2 or WPA3 as a host. It can connect to a WiFi router using WPA2, but then the best it provides as a host is WPA1, which is too weak of security in 2023 in my opinion.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Can I create a OneMesh network using two RE220 using their ethernet to connect to my modem?
2023-06-14 16:51:13

@tl777111,

Any network that is using an RE will require that there be a router on your network, as this will manage your device's connections. The Range Extenders simply forward traffic back to a router, which THEN passes through your modem.

For OneMesh Mode, you will definitely need to have a Onemesh-compatible router, as the Onemesh network will be configured from your router's interface. It is also important to mention that OneMesh does not currently support wired backhauls between nodes.

To create a wired mesh network with Range Extenders and Archer Routers, you would need to look at EasyMesh compatibility; however, wired backhauls are only just being added to models, so you would need to verify through the firmware patch notes that the wired Eashmesh backhaul compatibility has arrived to that model.

Options
Re:Can I create a OneMesh network using two RE220 using their ethernet to connect to my modem?-Solution
2023-07-16 06:53:38 - last edited 2023-07-16 06:54:55

@Riley_S I think your answer may be slightly misleading.

The RE220 can be used in access point mode, which means it doesn't need a WiFi router to connect to. In that mode, it can use the Ethernet port to connect to the modem. I explored the RE220 web interface several times, and I concluded that it doesn't support OneMesh when used in access point mode.

Still, as a WiFi repeater, it had some limited use for me, but I decided to return the RE220 as it does not support WPA2 or WPA3 as a host. It can connect to a WiFi router using WPA2, but then the best it provides as a host is WPA1, which is too weak of security in 2023 in my opinion.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Can I create a OneMesh network using two RE220 using their ethernet to connect to my modem?
2023-07-17 19:14:00

@tl777111,

Apologies, I forgot that the REs are capable of running their own DHCP server when there is no router available on the network.

AP Mode will not support OneMesh or EasyMesh and they both will require that the Main Router of the network is compatible with the technology and is hosting the network. I do not believe that the Extenders are able to host and route the mesh network without a compatible router.

If you are looking for greater security, you will definitely need to look at the more premium REs available.: https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/range-extender/. The RE220 is powered by AC technology so it is beginning to become somewhat dated. Especially now that we have, AX, AXE, and BE standards available.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 479

Replies: 3

Related Articles