Weird issue with Client list Archer AX73 - "Network Device"

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-07 01:32:15 - last edited 2023-07-07 01:33:22
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.6 Build 20230526 rel.53018(5553)

So I noticed something weird on my client list on my router and I wasn't sure whats going on. I saw a device pop up as "network device" Ran the mac in mac vendor lookup and it came back with nothing. I wasn't sure what the device was so I blocked it. I noticed a few hours later there was another "network device" connected. I looked it up, not vendor found so I too blocked that one. I did this a few times. I've updated my firmware to the newest and changed my router login. I've changed my network name and password.

Something I noticed this evening was that when i logged into it was my OWN device was renamed to "network device". I force quit the app and logged back in and my name had reverted back to the correct client name. 

I've not noticed any devices in my home stop working, but I'm wondering if this is some kind of glitch with this router that has always been happening and I have never noticed it before. 

Has anyone else noticed this?

TYIA

Stan. 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Weird issue with Client list Archer AX73 - "Network Device"
2023-07-09 08:16:51

@Stan56 

With the AX55 router, this has occurred to me after upgrading the firmware. The "network devices" were all Apple products, such as an iPhone. As soon as I edit the name in the clients list of the router's web interface, everything is OK.  I suspect it is due to the private MAC addresses that some devices use and the router identifies the device as "network device" instead of "unknown" as it did in prior firmware versions.

Options
2023-07-14 00:07:57

@jra11500 an option in apple devices settings changes the mac address to prevent device tracking. You can turn it off in the settings of the apple device for each wifi connection. The setting is priviate wifi settings for each wifi ssid. 

Options
2023-07-14 07:52:37

@ArcherC8 

Thanks for your response.  We here at my home do use the private MAC feature of the Apple devices.  Only after a factory reset (or firmware upgrade) is when the "network device" appears until it is edited.  After that, the router remembers the name.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 592

Replies: 3

Related Articles