Can't use MESH to link two different Archer / TP Link Routers. Tech supports says you can. NOPE

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can't use MESH to link two different Archer / TP Link Routers. Tech supports says you can. NOPE

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-08 19:05:27
Model: Archer AX55 Pro  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I purchased a new Archer AX55 Pro and it works great. I wanted to extend the range and found an Archer AX21 at a great price. according to TP Link tech support all I needed to do was update the firmware on both units and the two units would easily link using their MESH system. Well, the two new units will NOT link. I followed the instructions, reset the AX21 after the firmware update etc and made several attempts to link the units as the video shows. The two would not link. SOOO I ended up sending the AX 21 back to Amazon. 

If you have linked two routers via the wi-fi, I would sure like to know what models you are using. 

Options
4 Reply
Re:Can't use MESH to link two different Archer / TP Link Routers. Tech supports says you can. NOPE
2023-07-11 18:08:05

@K9Texas,

What feature were you trying to use? As long as you have EasyMesh functionality across the two routers, you should be able to connect them together. If you were trying to use OneMesh, Router-Router connections are not available. I know that a few users on our subreddit mentioned that it took a few tries for the routers to properly connect.

Do you have any specifics regarding how the connection was failing, or what step you were getting stuck at?

Options
Re:Can't use MESH to link two different Archer / TP Link Routers. Tech supports says you can. NOPE
2023-07-11 18:52:40

@K9Texas TX Link web pages says you can in fact use ONE MESH to wirelessly connect the routers to extend coverage however it did not work. That is what is frustration. Having a manifacturer say you can use One Mesh and then having THEIR routers not connecting.  Huffff

Options
2023-07-12 16:26:27

@K9Texas,

On our OneMesh spotlight page it mentions that while OneMesh is used by a router to build the network, it still is only meant to connect a router to other extender devices and has the following disclaimer: 
"OneMesh only works between a OneMesh router and OneMesh Wi-Fi Extenders/Powerlines."

Router-Router Communication is something that is still planned and we may see an eventual rollout for, however the functionality can now be found through the new seperate EasyMesh features, which follows industry standards to create mesh connections.

You can find more information regarding what features are available between the different Mesh types in our Story Post: EasyMesh and TP-Link

Options
2023-07-12 19:43:44

@Riley_S  OK, I have just sucessfully linked TWO Tp-Link routers by Wi-Fi. I am an old retired person so for me to be able to succesfully do it is in and of itself a miracle. Here is the solution....... I purchased another TP-Link router (Same model as my primary router). Specifically, the Ax3000 (Archer AX55). My main router is the Archer AX55-PRO, but basically the same unit. I followed the instructions, updated firmware on both units and using the youtube video titled ..... HOW TO SET UP ARCHER AX55 WITH EASYMESH MESH WI-FI .... I was able to connect link both units. Now I have 300gbps in the study where before the speed was 40gbps. 

I THINK, and again, I am NO tech savy person, the reason they linked is because both units are the same model, where as trying to link the AX1800 did not work. I got the 2nd unit on Amazon at a huge discount for Prime day so it was basically cheaper than TP's high end range extender. 

I sincerely hope this information helps others trying to do the same thing. The ONE great advantage to buying a 2nd router is now I have a backup if for some reason the primary dies. 

Have A BLESSED DAY EVERYONE ! 

Options