EasyMesh and TP-Link

Used Products:
× 1
General Product

bd9f0922364243bb962b66f1d8d3a16e

You may have heard during the Wi-Fi 7 Event that TP-Link is embracing the new EasyMesh Protocol that allows users to build a multiple-AP mesh network with certified products from various vendors. EasyMesh in the United States is launching with our Newest Wi-Fi 7 Routers and has plans to be added to a variety of TP-Link Products.  

What is EasyMesh? 

EasyMesh is a standard certification launched by the Wi-Fi Alliance, which brings a standards-based approach to multiple AP networks. It is a basic standard that defines the protocol for the interconnectivity between different APs. The latest version is EasyMesh R2. 

Wi-Fi EasyMesh networks use a common standard that allows devices from multiple vendors to be onboard, configured, and able to communicate with each other. This brings flexibility, enabling devices from different vendors to work together to increase capacity and effective throughput by forming a smart and adaptable network. Not to mention, these networks are easy to set up and maintain. All can be self-organized to provide consistent coverage anywhere in a home, office, or outdoor space. 

What is Wireless Backhaul in EasyMesh? 

Wireless Backhaul in an EasyMesh network makes it possible to wirelessly connect two EasyMesh products including TP-Link Wi-Fi Routers and Range Extenders together to build a seamless Wi-Fi network, this benefits both extended Wi-Fi coverage and Wi-Fi network stability. 

How Does EasyMesh Wireless Backhaul Work? 

Router – Router Networking 

Mesh Wireless Backhaul BETWEEN Routers

Yes, you read that correctly. In an EasyMesh network, you can now define one router as the main router for the network, and then you can easily add another satellite router to boost the coverage of your Wi-Fi. 

Not only that, but EasyMesh enables automatic synchronization of wireless network settings across all EasyMesh nodes in the network and will automatically transfer your wireless SSID and password to satellite nodes. 

157dc6395a814f8e803d6f0ad9e6b18c

Note: 

It is recommended to connect no more than 3 mesh nodes (2 satellite devices) in a single chain for better wireless performance. 

A Firmware update may be required for some models to support Router-Router Networking. 

Router – RE Networking 

Mesh Wireless Backhaul between TP-Link Router and Range Extender 

This brand-new mesh solution also allows you to add a Range Extender as the satellite device which is wirelessly connected to the main router and builds a seamless Wi-Fi network. 

6f2da61cc49d4eabba46b9b342365503

You can find a full list of EasyMesh-compatible devices on our site here: 

EasyMesh TP-Link USA Product List 

*Note that products marked as planned are not guaranteed to receive the feature. 

EasyMesh – Frequently Asked Questions

Q1. What TP-Link product will support EasyMesh? 

Visit here to check all TP-Link EasyMesh Compatible devices
Please be aware that certain models will require firmware updates to support EasyMesh, you should pay attention to the subsequent firmware releases on the TP-Link official website. You can find the most recent firmware and patch notes on your product's download page.

Q2. Can I use TP-Link EasyMesh products together with TP-Link OneMesh™ or Deco Mesh products? 

No. Wi-Fi EasyMesh, TP-Link OneMesh™, and Deco Mesh use different technologies, so they are not compatible in building a Mesh network. 
Refer to the QA below for the main differences between EasyMesh, TP-Link OneMesh™, and Deco Mesh. If choosing to use a Mesh Network, please check the compatibility of all models on your network.

Q3. What is the difference between EasyMesh, OneMesh™, and Deco Mesh?

From the below chart you could have a general comparison between EasyMesh vs OneMesh™ vs Deco Mesh. 

EasyMesh 

OneMesh™ 

Deco Mesh 

Seamless Wi-Fi Network 

thumbs up

thumbs up thumbs up

Working with a different vendor* 

thumbs up

AP Seamless Steering 

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

Band steering (Smart Connect) 

thumbs up

thumbs up

thumbs up

Router- Router Wireless Backhaul 

thumbs up

thumbs up

Ethernet Backhaul 

- (Planned***)(Now Available on Select Models) 

thumbs up

AP mode 

- (Planned***)

thumbs up

Mesh Protocol Supported 

802.11k/v 

802.11k/v 

802.11k/v/r 

Management Methods 

Web UI & Tether APP 

Web UI & Tether APP 

Deco APP & Simple Web UI 

Technology 

Wi-Fi EasyMesh standardized protocol 

TP-Link OneMesh™ Technology 

TP-Link Deco Mesh Technology 

Products & Compatibility 

Check TP-Link EasyMesh products >> 

vendors** 

Check TP-Link OneMesh products >> 

Check TP-Link Deco Products>> 

Note : 

1. TP-Link EasyMesh, OneMesh™, and Deco Mesh products use different mesh technologies so they are not compatible in building a Mesh network. 

2. Working with a different vendor* 

Certified EasyMesh devices can work with each other, while we highly recommend using TP-Link EasyMesh products together to ensure the best performance and full compatibility. 

Visit this site to get the EasyMesh Certified Products from multiple vendors*: https://www.wi-fi.org/wi-fi-easymesh-certified-products (from Wi-Fi Alliance®). 
Planned*** : Kindly note that Planned is NOT a guarantee, as the plan can be adjusted or changed. 

Q4. Will EasyMesh support Ethernet Backhaul? 

EasyMesh is currently still under development, and the official ETA is not yet confirmed. Kindly note that Planned is not guaranteed, as the plan can be adjusted or changed. Please keep an eye on the official website for firmware updates when the new features are available. 

[Update] Ethernet Backhaul Compatability is beginning to appear on additional models, such as the C64 and A8. Keep an eye on the patch notes for your router, as the feature will be listed if/when it is brought to your model. This will also apply to some of our newest releases, where the feature is being completely optimized before being rolled out to high-performance devices.

[Update 9/21]: Ethernet Wired Backhauls are available to the following models:

• AX10v1/2/3, AX1500v1/2/3, AX4400v2,
  • C80 v1.0/2.2/2.26, C6v4,
  • A6 v4.0/4.6, and A8 v1.0/1.8/2.0/2.2/2.26/2.28

Q5. Can I use TP-Link EasyMesh devices with EasyMesh products from different manufacturers or companies? Are they compatible? 

Theoretically, TP-Link EasyMesh will work with any EasyMesh-certified products due to the standardized EasyMesh technology. However, EasyMesh networking methods can vary based on the manufacturers, we highly recommend using TP-Link EasyMesh products together to ensure the best performance and full compatibility. 

Please See the EasyMesh Splash Page for an Overall Compatability List: https://www.tp-link.com/us/easymesh/product-list/

Looking to Get Started with EasyMesh?

How to Build and Ethernet Backhaul Using Two EasyMesh Routers

How to Add a Router to an EasyMesh Network as a Satellite Device

How to Add an Extender to An EasyMesh Network as a Satellite Device

Comment

@Riley_S 

I have a question regarding EasyMesh and OneMesh.

I have multiple TP-Link products - both are on the list to get EasyMesh.   Do I need to wait for both to receive EasyMesh FW updates to mesh them, or can one device on OneMesh  mesh with a device with EasyMesh?

Never mind -   I see that my question is covered under Q2 above.    They are not compatible - so I need to wait until both of my routers are EasyMesh compatible to mesh them.

Thomas C (TC) Murphy Park City, Montana USA

I stumbled upon EasyMesh in my RX700E range extender yesterday and it appears to be working with my AX50 router. I now have just one SSID.

I'm still confused about EasyMesh vs OneMesh. EasyMesh appears to be an industry standard, while OneMesh is proprietary. That's fine, but which one offers higher performance, or is there a difference in performance?

@Jaddie 

Good question - I've had the same questions myself.   Hoping @Riley_S will offer up the official TP-Link answer.

My thoughts on the matter - based solely on absolutely nothing but my thoughts.

As you noted - EasyMesh was designed off the industry standard while OneMesh is TP-Link's own developed methodology - and I would think that something proprietary would be faster/more efficient.  

@TC_In_Montana @Jaddie;

The introduction of EasyMesh is still very new; so we do no have too too much information comparing the two. Speaking with our testing and product teams, the performance of the two should be relatively similar, however the onemesh connections will most likely be more stable as they are tested to work between our own products, rather than relying on another company's implementation of Easymesh.

The main differences come into play when looking at the devices that may be added. Onemesh will allow you to add a variety of TP-Link devices that may not support Easymesh, while Easymesh allows for mesh networks to be built with non-Tp-Link products. Currently, Easymesh is not widely implemented or used, so if you are only planning to use TP-Link products you may want to stick with a OneMesh connection until Easymesh is more widely available.

As Easymesh is rolled out to more products, our team will attempt to provide an update on the differences and qualities of the connections.

@Riley_S 

Thanks for the update/information.

I've got a couple of devices on the "planned" list - waiting for EasyMesh to roll out to them so I can it out.

Patience has never been one of my best features.....

Thanks for the Awesome information!

I started with one AX55 but over time and with more WiFi in use locally I had problems with a 2.4 camera being too far from the router for a reliable connection. The laptops and smartphones were fine.

So I added a second AX55 running easymesh which solved the camera problem and it's fine most of the time except one particular smartphone which drops the connection then picks it up again when it is midway between the two routers which just happens to be where one of my favourite chairs is located.

Being lazy I added another TP-link router this time a AXE5400 since it is a real soon now Easymesh router.  My thoughts were simply to run it as another access point so I could steer the smartphone to fix on one router.

Unfortunately when I signed in the the new router it picked up all the information from the existing two routers.  OK but that means I can't add another named access point dedicated to one smartphone.

Is there a way to tell the routers that this smartphone should only connect to one of the routers? 

Is there a way to use the AXE5400 without involving the existing TPlink user and password?

Or do I get the impression the thing to do is wait for the firmware upgrade to the AXE5400 to make it easymesh?

Or does onemesh support having the axe5400 as the main router and an AX55 as the satellite today?

Another possibility might be to have the satellite router not broadcast on the 5 GHZ band?  Is this possible?

The last one might be to try the AXE5400 by itself and see if the camera connection is steady enough. 

Thoughts?

Thanks John

Hey @johnwhelan,

I would recommend creating a new thread on the forums for your situation, that way we can keep the conversation focused. However:

When a Device is set up as an AP, you can always change the wireless settings of that specific AP by logging into the settings for the AP. It will just automatically match your other network name so that your devices can begin to roam between nodes.

You can either set a new SSID, or configure the access control so that the device cannot connect to the AP, but for the life of me I cant remember if this could cause problems with the phone connecting to the main router. There will also be options available to choose which bands of your network to broadcast, since you mention that would help for now.

Onemesh Does Not Currently Support Router-Router Connections and is Focused on the Connection between Powerline, REs, and a single router to manage the mesh.

While this is not the same router as yours, it is an Archer Router in AP Mode:

94b72bd54d7545eea3cfd29d0996ca22

The camera is an early eufy one that has something called a homebase.  I suspect the camera does not use conventional Wi-Fi but talks directly to the homebase which talks to everything else.

So I dropped in the AXE 5400 in place of the other routers and ran a 25 foot cat 6 cable to the homebase which is close to the camera. The router is located in the basement so I raised the AXE 5400 by eighteen inches and turned off 6 GHZ.

Crossed fingers that seems to be working nicely the extra power of over the AX55 and the extra height I think gives it just enough reach.  With only one AP the phone isn't dropping the connection and reestablishing it every minute or so.

As a comment switching from  AP to the other probably needs a wider gap in the signal strength before switching, which would save the phone problem.  Connecting to a particular router (the AXE 5400) might have been possible by changing its IP address first then connecting once it was plugged into the network.

I think just writing it all out then sleeping on it made it come together and you never know easymesh might come to the AXE 5400 real soon now and ethernet backhaul the day after.

Many Thanks

Cheerio John

When is the development of this going to be done? I've been waiting for both of my Archer AX11000 to get OneMesh firmware updates for over a year now and things are still marked in the "planned" state. EasyMesh seems to have a "planned" update for these Archer as well, but there's been no sign or hope that the either of these updates are coming soon. This seems so far behind compared to Asus AI Mesh

upload
    upload
      Subscriptions