X50 Outdoor won't reliably connect to X55 Mesh

2023-07-13 19:57:06
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.6

I purchased an X50 Outdoor to bring network to some areas my X55 network won't reach.  I've been having nothing but trouble.

It has worked a few times, and when it works, it seems to work well (100+ Mbs).

I'm connecting to it wirelessly.

Most of the time, when I power it up, it comes up with a flashing red light, and the app shows that it's not connected.   Occassionaly, it comes up solid green and works, but only sometimes. 

I've reset it a number of times.   When I reset it, I can add it to the network, and the light becomes green for a bit, then it resets, and usually doesn't connect.

It doesn't seem to be related to distance or the fact that it's outdoors, as I've tried having it indoors, in the same space as the base unit, and I have the same behaviour.  

Sometimes it does connect, but I have no idea what the difference between when it connects, and when it doesn't.   Sometimes I've noticed that it will come up to flashing red, and then go to green and function correctly.   But that's not repeatable or reliable either.

I'm not sure what the firmware on the X50 Outdoor is, as I can't connect to it right now to check.   I did upgrade the firmware after I received it, so it's probably the latest, and firmware in the X55's is the latest as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

Options
10 Reply
Re:X50 Outdoor won't reliably connect to X55 Mesh
2023-07-14 00:55:46

@Kolding 

How are you powering the unit up?  Ethernet or traditional AC power?

Options
2023-07-14 01:13:05

@Carl 

AC plug, and wireless connection to the network.

Eric

Options
2023-07-15 20:08:04

I think I've figured it out.   The X50 outdoors just doesn't like to be outdoors.  Ok, so I haven't actually figured it out, but it sure doesn't seem to like to work outdoors.

I've been playing with various locations of the X50 Outdoor, and getting some results.     All the connections are wireless, but the power is always AC.  If I put it in the same area as the main X55 unit (within line of sight, maybe 5-10 feet), it usually connects.   Usually, not always though.   I move it around my house, and it usually conncets.   Just now it's sitting about 8 feet, and not connecting wirelessly, but at other times it has connected wirelessly, and I've moved it around the house, and it has connected in the various locations I've tried, at various distances from other units in the mesh, and it seems to connect fairly reliably.

If I wire it to the X55 Main unit, it seems to work fine, always.    So it's in the wireless side.

I've taken it back outdoors, and tried it in a couple of locations.   The only location I could get it to connect was when it was literally in a window, with fairly clear (no walls, but some junk) line of sight to the main unit.

I moved one of my X55 units downstairs, and put it inside an open door.   The X50 would still not connect.   I've literally moved the X55 outside, and put it and the X50 outdoor 10 feet apart.   The X55 would connect, the but the X50 would not.   I took the X55 outdoors and plugged it in.   It connected, the X50 would not.

I moved the X55 unit outdoors, 10 feet from where I wanted the X50 to be.    The X55 connected just fine, albeit with a slightly low strength signal.   I put the X50 Outdoors 8-10 feet away, and it wouldn't connect.   Not even to the unit directly next to it.

When it does connect, it always says it's connecting on the 2.4GHZ channel, wheras the other units all say "2.4Ghz/5Ghz".   The product description says the X50 is dual band, but it only seems to want to use the 2.4GHz band.   Right now it's 6 feet away from the main unit.   Couldn't possibly have a better signal, but it's only doing 2.4.

I'm not certain of this, but I think the bottom cover may be a possible issue.   Connections seem to be made more commonly if I have the bottom cover off.   But I don't have any conclusive evidence of that.

Hardware on the X50 Outdoor is marked "US/1.6", so I'm guessing that's the 1.6 hardware revision.   (ps, whoever thought of grey printing on black on the bottom was a good idea, it's not.   Remember, some of your customers are over 50, and we can't read that.  Damned kids designing products).   The firmware on the X50 is 1.2.1 Build 20230607 Rel. 65923.

The X55's (at least the main, I assume the others are the same, I bought them all in a 3 pack) is also "US/1.6".   They are running firmware 1.2.6 Build 20230518 Rel 60781.

So, hey TP Link, is this unit broken?   Or is this just junk?   Is there anything else I can try?

Options
2023-07-17 15:10:53

@Kolding 

Regarding the cover:  It should be one, especially if you want the weatherproofing to be effective.  It should have no problems, but perhaps it's not seated properly.  Try this video it will show you how to remove and reconnect the plate, especially with cables coming out.  Removing Deco X50-Outdoor Baseplate.

Regarding the Line of sight:  Windows can absorb radio waves in the same way they absorb sound waves.  Especially if they are double or triple pane and filled with gas or are E-low.  So that doesn't really mean the connection is good.  Additionally, unless the window is the entire wall, like a sliding glass door for example the radio wave is going to go with the wall as well, so it can still affect the communication.  How Far from this wall and window is the indoor unit?

What concerns me is that you mention even indoors the unit isn't working in a range that is well within the recommendation of placement for nodes. That could indicate a concern exists with the radio transmitters in the Deco X50.  I would most likely recommend a replacement to rule out the hardware.  Though if you are up for it I could refer you to our engineering team to do a remote session with you and figure it out more accurately.  The one concern is that it would be after 5pm Pacific as our engineers are not located in the US so we would have to work with them when they are available.  

Options
2023-07-21 17:51:48

@Carl 

I am having the same exact issue as the poster! I have 2 X-50 connected to two sets of X-55. It's a literal nightmare. I bought 1  couple months ago and it seemed fine until the latest update and it went Red, I couldn't get it back working. So I bought another thinking it was bad. Same issue only happened in days. I can return the most recent but not the one 3 months old. My story is literally the same as the poster . I believe there is a issue with the X-50's because I have a  smooth operating network without the X-50's. As soon as you add one it's pure havoc, it even causes the app to crash. I am returning the recent purchase but I'm stuck with the 3 month old one so I'd like it to work. Any ideas? Manufacturers defect? Thanks 

Options
2023-07-24 16:15:55

@Meshfan63 

I have not been made aware of any concers about the recent Firmware updates.  That is not to say something might not be there, only i have not been informed.  You stated that it was working prior to the last software update so it is not likely a manufacturer defect.  If you can please provide the Frimware being used for all Decos in your network.  Once i have this i will forward this thread to our Enginneers for a more indepth review. 

Options
2023-07-24 16:45:23

@Meshfan63 

I chatted with support, who refered me up to engineering.

Apparently an issue has been detected, and they're working on a firmware fix.   Beyond that, I know nothing, no details, no timeframe.   But the issue is being investigated by engineering.

Eric

Options
2024-01-22 21:36:40

@Kolding 

has any solution to x50 outdoor not linking to x55 mesh been identified?

Options
2024-01-24 17:05:13

@Screenname54 Seems to work now with the latest firmware.   However, the TP-Link guys did make some changes to my system to debug, and those changes may still be in place.

Also, it's too cold outside to test these days......

Options
2024-01-25 14:55:13

@Kolding I have an X55 as my main deco and I'm having just loads of trouble with it connecting after a reboot. Rebooting usually downs the entire network to the point where I have to go into the closet and manually reboot the deco by unplugging. If I'm lucky, and I do say lucky I can get the network back after about an hour or so of rebooting. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 626

Replies: 10

Related Articles