In HomeCare, can I set a "homework time" schedule that limits web sites to those that I specify?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

In HomeCare, can I set a "homework time" schedule that limits web sites to those that I specify?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-20 17:04:53
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I'm shopping for a new WiFi router.  My focus is on parental controls, and specifically limiting websites during certain periods of the day.  My kids do their schoolwork online, so this is called "homework time". I understand that some TP-link routers have HomeCare. In HomeCare, can I set a "homework time" schedule that limits web sites to only those websites that I specify?

Options
10 Reply
Re:In HomeCare, can I set a "homework time" schedule that limits web sites to those that I specify?
2023-07-20 21:42:46

@GaryTheSnail 

HomeCare routers are more limited these days.  All of our routers that would have had HomeCare now ship with HomeShield. Niether HomeCare or HomeShield have parental controls this precise.  In HomeShield Pro you can set "off-line times" and "Time Limts"  but the web filters are based on the overall settings of the profile and the devices linked to that profile.  We do not have tools that allow only specific website and specific times.    

Options
Re:In HomeCare, can I set a "homework time" schedule that limits web sites to those that I specify?
2023-07-21 17:00:22 - last edited 2023-07-21 17:17:32

@Carl Thanks for the response. Are there any tp-link wifi router models that can do this?

EDIT: This is confusing. Is this a HomeCare vs HomeShield thing? Or is it an older vs newer model thing? Can I even get this capability in a tp-link wifi router? 

Options
2023-07-24 16:13:04

@GaryTheSnail 

HomeCare was provided by TrendMicro

HomeShield is a newer service provided by Avira/Norton

No currently there are no routers that allow the limiting of websites at specific times.  the main reason is that a device can only be linked to one profile at at time and the filters apply for as long as that profile is active.  

Options
2023-07-24 16:27:20

@Carl Thanks for the reply.

To do this, they would need to allow multiple schedules for a profile.

The Gryphon Parental Controls and Synology Safe Access can do it.

I am currently using the Gryphon. I was hoping for more choices, but maybe not. sad

Options
2023-07-25 15:15:42

@GaryTheSnail 

It would be more than just a schedule, at least for TP-Link and HomeShield.  You can do multiple schedules with our stuff now, it just pertains around online hours, offline times and bedtimes.  For how our controls work you would also need to be able to set custom filters for specific times as well.  We are happy to send it up but I just don't know how possible it is.  As was with HomeCare and TrendMirco wtih Avira/Norton's HomeShield each packet is inspected as it leaves and enters the router through their servers if its found to be not allowed the packet is blocked from entering or dropped and never arrives.  I don't know if the service can allow for a single profile to have varied filters based on the time of day.  Still we will send it up for review.  

Options
2023-07-25 16:23:55

@Carl Thanks for the reply.

Conceptually this is easy. It just requires:

1. Allowing multiple schedules per user profile (they should not overlap).

2. Allowing a schedule to be set as WiFi ON or OFF,  ... OR ... set as WiFi ON with websites filtered by whitelist. 

The Gryphon specializes in parental control and does this by implementing what they call "Bedtime", during WiFi is OFF of course. And then they have "Homework" time, during which WiFi is ON, but only the sites you specify are allowed. But Bedtime is really just WiFi OFF, and Homework is really just WiFi ON with a whitelist. 

Synology Safe Access does not define anything like "Bedtime" or "Homework" time, as it is not marketed as a parental control router. However, it allows multiple schedules per profile, and it allows the use of a whitelist or blacklist during a scheduled period, so theorectically could be used to accomplish the same thing as Homework time. I have't tried any of the the Synology routers.

I am currently running the Gryhon but would like other choices.

Options
2023-07-25 17:00:11

@GaryTheSnail 

Homeshield does that.  Customers can set "Time Limits" which allows them only X ammount of time online each day.  This is split between the devices on their profile.  So if a profile has 4 devices and only 6 hours of online time that would be collective between all 4 devices.  

Customers can set "Offline Times"  which shuts off internet service to all devices in that profile for that specificed time. An Example would be shutting all device access off during Dinner time.  

You can also set "BedTime" which is similar to Offline Time, but can go into the next day.  These can even be set at different times for weekdays and weekends.  

Some of these options due requre HomeShield Pro though. 

So settings sechedules isn't the issue.  Its setting filters that only apply to specific times. And while it might sound easy, Its more difficult than it seems, especially since it involves a 3rd party and how traffic is filtered through their servers.  I am not saying its not possible just It requires review to see if it can be implemented. 

Options
2023-07-25 17:18:19

@Carl Cool, thanks for the reply (again). Yes, exactly. It's the capability to filters that only apply to specific times. Somehow Gryphon and Synology Safe Access have figured out to do it. 

Options
2023-07-26 15:27:02

@GaryTheSnail 

Of course its my pleasure.  I just want to make sure the features are well known.  Its likley that they are handling the filters locally on the router itself. But it could also be that the feature was built specifically for that purpose.  To be honest this is the first time i have seen this request, at least as well described as this, so it could be that we just didn't think of it.  We will get it up to development and see what they say.  I will say don't expect a response though, at least not in the sort term.  We rarely get an update on requests and implementations until they start releasing in the firmware.  I can say though in the US updates are typically posted every Friday, because i am the one who posts them.  As long as there are no holidays or PTO by 4pm you can check if an update has been added to the website for your product.  

Options
2023-07-26 15:49:07

@Carl Thanks.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 616

Replies: 10

Related Articles